Bafang 250w bbs01b

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi Guys
I've been using my new build most days..I'm impressed with it..but I have front chain ring 46t and rear cassette 11- 32. Has anyone messed around with there gearing and found a good compromise. I find the 32t rear sprocket a bit abrupt..on the take up even with the start current turned down..is this something that's normal..when in PAS 4 which is where I find I'm normally riding....I do ride a few hills but spend most of the time on trails and roads but nothing to mountainous. Also are these kits good when riding in the rain or is this tobe avoided.
Jim

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gearing is different for everyone and depends on your requirements, so what's fit for one is probably not much use for another.
My BBS01 (2014) has 42 & 11/36 and I still find gearing is not always low enough for me on ascents.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The 46 was too big for me so I put a 42 on and it isn't enough... So I would say try a 44 before going smaller. I also have a 32 for climbing hills. I think my cassette is an 11-32 or maybe an 11-34. This is on a 28" wheel of course.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A major effect on gearing is fitness level and your cadence/pedal rpm.
A high rate spinner can and is able to use bigger gearing compared to a low spinner like me.
My cadence like most is variable, 75- 80 is my normal rate with occasional bursts up to 92 depending on if my legs have it in them.
Lower gearing and spinning uses the cardio system more, heart rate and lungs get a good work out. If feeling a bit puffed after a slight rest at a slower speed they recover quite quickly for another spell.
High gearing and slower spinning often means forcing the issue more & doesn't have the same effect, instead it relies on more torque on the body which means muscle exertion, when these tire muscle recovery is a slow and your ride is laboured and exhausting.
So in general it is better to have lower gearing for a slightly higher cadence even with a motor.

• Agree
Reactions: jwm

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
A major effect on gearing is fitness level and your cadence/pedal rpm.
A high rate spinner can and is able to use bigger gearing compared to a low spinner like me.
My cadence like most is variable, 75- 80 is my normal rate with occasional bursts up to 92 depending on if my legs have it in them.
Lower gearing and spinning uses the cardio system more, heart rate and lungs get a good work out. If feeling a bit puffed after a slight rest at a slower speed they recover quite quickly for another spell.
High gearing and slower spinning often means forcing the issue more & doesn't have the same effect, instead it relies on more torque on the body which means muscle exertion, when these tire muscle recovery is a slow and your ride is laboured and exhausting.
So in general it is better to have lower gearing for a slightly higher cadence even with a motor.
Thanks Nealh
I have found I that by slowing my rate a little does work better for the PAS system. And gradually I'm getting used to changing gear..it's a bit like riding a motorbike.the change up is fairly fast between gears. Then just remember to change down as well..it's just everything seems fast..but I'm getting used to it as I said..I was thinking of putting my 11-28 cassette on from my other bike. Does changing the wheel size in the parameters alter the pas power level I wonder...
Jim

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi Jim
The wheel size just adjusts the speedo, I find if you just touch the brakes the cut off allows for a smooth change up or down, the biggest difference is wheel size the 29er just takes the edge off it takes that bit more time to start rolling and makes things smoother. your motor bike comment reminds me of a honda 90 roll off the power change gear put the power back on

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi Jim
The wheel size just adjusts the speedo, I find if you just touch the brakes the cut off allows for a smooth change up or down, the biggest difference is wheel size the 29er just takes the edge off it takes that bit more time to start rolling and makes things smoother. your motor bike comment reminds me of a honda 90 roll off the power change gear put the power back on
Yes mate very much like the Honda 90..lol I find once it's rolling the take up of power is good although the gear changes do have to be applied with power off even though I have the gear shift sensor..surprisingly I find myself in PAS 4/5 most of the time..1 being as good as useless and 2 not much better. I did change to 90% Keep power but did not notice too much difference apart from power was not lasting as long in the assist so I'm back to 75%. I've not tried upping the current yet from 15 to 18 amps so maybe this will be next..obviously I expect battery consumption to be as good.Time to go to 750w and 48v system..I did take a little look at the GSM motor with separate controller might be the way to go next time.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
tried to up the amps cannot get it to go above 15 amps even on 16 amps you get an error code. I have taken the 350watt out offroad today its like day and night to the 250watt:mad: so much so I hit the buyit now button should arrive Monday :D

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
tried to up the amps cannot get it to go above 15 amps even on 16 amps you get an error code. I have taken the 350watt out offroad today its like day and night to the 250watt:mad: so much so I hit the buyit now button should arrive Monday :D
so the 350 is that much more in power then..and it's running 36v..I can feel a controller change coming on lol