Bafang 8fun CD 36v or 48v ?

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
You are talking to the uneducated SW, I'm a mechanical engineer not a greenie...but I'm sure Jimmy will see me right:)

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Anyway...back to the OP...48V 750W is a hoot and akin to a kids 50cc MX bike, 250W is OK but a bit lacking when you see that 1 in 2 rocky, wet, slippy hill leading to the peak and you have to actually pedal to MAYBE get to the top:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i never even taken the wheel of a bike b4 i got mine let alone a electric one i just learn fast ;)

those batts in series will give you more voltage and in parallel will give you more capacity.

24v dc to ac converter 3000w

just add fire ;)

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks for all the contributions to this post, thus far, loads of info for a newbie like me to digest, but all good stuff.

I notice Eclipse now have the Bafang 8fun 250w CD as back in stock, buying from a UK supplier would certainley simplify thing's, and of course ordering from China can run the risk of import duty, although having ordered from China on numerous occasions, that has never happened to myself as yet.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I am just about to purchase a BBSHD from EM3ev in china.I have read very good things on various forums and their reputation is very good.The batteries that they build are some of the best available anywhere and the warranties are solid and sending stuff back to china is not always needed because they can have problems sorted in the uk.

Reactions: Kinninvie

FoxZulu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2016
London
I've just bought a BBSHD kit from Luna Cycle in the US. Super easy to deal with and quick delivery. I'm currently modifying a Specialized mtb to a 'battery in frame' emtb inspired by their Turbo Levo. Lots of other mods to come including Rohloff hub and Gates carbon belt drive.

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I've just bought a BBSHD kit from Luna Cycle in the US. Super easy to deal with and quick delivery. I'm currently modifying a Specialized mtb to a 'battery in frame' emtb inspired by their Turbo Levo. Lots of other mods to come including Rohloff hub and Gates carbon belt drive.
Can I ask how much the BBSHD was and if you had to pay duty please?

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
You want to make sure to buy what suits you...

I fitted a 36V 500W BBS-01 to my bike, did 50 kms and took it off - it doesn't assist me at high pedal speeds!

I spin the pedals fast up hills, and other people have mentioned in other posts, the BBS-01 requires you to change to a HIGHER gear on hills to get enough assist! (the assist drops off, as pedal spedd increases, but is ALL OVER at 80-something) I had it running through my Nuvinci, but I still couldn't climb hills on it. I also reprogrammed it, but it doesn't help.

If you are like me, you'll hate it! I think a BBS-02 that does up to 110 (or more?) crank RPM would suit me better, but I'm going back to my direct drive hub for now.

If you aren't a spinner, it may be fine, but make sure you know what pedal speeds suit you, and what speeds the drive you order is capable of.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

I fitted a 36V 500W BBS-01 to my bike, did 50 kms and took it off - it doesn't assist me at high pedal speeds!

I spin the pedals fast up hills, and other people have mentioned in other posts, the BBS-01 requires you to change to a HIGHER gear on hills to get enough assist! (the assist drops off, as pedal spedd increases, but is ALL OVER at 80-something) I had it running through my Nuvinci, but I still couldn't climb hills on it. I also reprogrammed it, but it doesn't help.

If you are like me, you'll hate it! I think a BBS-02 that does up to 110 (or more?) crank RPM would suit me better, but I'm going back to my direct drive hub for now.

If you aren't a spinner, it may be fine, but make sure you know what pedal speeds suit you, and what speeds the drive you order is capable of.
Good input helped me too

sent via huawei P9

D

Deleted member 4366

Changing the controller to a 48v one and increasing the battery voltage to 48v would have solved your problem.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
BBSHD motor came today and import vat was £24.52 and UPS fee was £11 so £35.52 in total.
I should point out that the nice lad at Eunora did put the value down as $100 even though I did not ask him to.
He will be getting some lovely feedback.

Reactions: tommie

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

Which direct drive hub do you use? Its on the back or front wheel?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A spinner is someone who spins he pedals quickly to get up hills.
And keeps on driving the pedals at over 120rpm.
I'm a slogger or pusher who grunts and forces the bike up n a hgher gear.
Turning the pedals slowly, up to 100 rpm but in high gear.
Direct drive hubs are cheaper and reliable but can stall leading to a smokey event on hills.
Not a good idea in a legal hub unles you are happy with a low top speed.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
A spinner is someone who spins he pedals quickly to get up hills.
And keeps on driving the pedals at over 120rpm.
I'm a slogger or pusher who grunts and forces the bike up n a hgher gear.
Turning the pedals slowly, up to 100 rpm but in high gear.
Direct drive hubs are cheaper and reliable but can stall leading to a smokey event on hills.
Not a good idea in a legal hub unles you are happy with a low top speed.
Thank you again. Im looking now at a Electra Townie, I believe already bought out by Trek? I really like the idea of a flat foot bike as I'll mostly be on the flat.

Either put a front wheel hub motor or a BBS01 CD, which do you think would work best?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thank you again. Im looking now at a Electra Townie, I believe already bought out by Trek? I really like the idea of a flat foot bike as I'll mostly be on the flat.

Either put a front wheel hub motor or a BBS01 CD, which do you think would work best?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thank you again. Im looking now at a Electra Townie, I believe already bought out by Trek? I really like the idea of a flat foot bike as I'll mostly be on the flats.

They both work. Hub drive cheaper but slightly limited.
Cd more expensive but you can get better performance just playing with the LCD.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
They both work. Hub drive cheaper but slightly limited.
Cd more expensive but you can get better performance just playing with the LCD.
Thanks, I see they have a bosch version at 2k!

Get an i3 for 450 plus 800 for decent BBS conversion. Save $$$