Bafang bbs01b how waterproof is it..

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi people
As the heading says how waterproof is it. Well as the weather starts to rain and the evenings draw in..I want to go cycling..But and here's the but..are they waterproofed enough for general riding I don't mean off-roading but maybe a few muddy paths..I'm not put off going out in the rain but I don't really want to damage anything if it can be avoided..lol

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The 'B' version BBS is meant to have improved water resistance over the earlier models. The controller has a rubber gasket and I think the BB has improved seals. The part that seems to be most vulnerable to water damage is the standard RH throttle, if you have one fitted, which can lead to controller malfunction and failure. Cable tie a loose plastic bag over it and you should be fine.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have not seen any water damaged BBS01B for more than a year.
not even the throttle.

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Thanks for the fast replys. I'm going to give it a run tommorow and looking at the weather it's going tobe wet. I was thinking of removing the throttle tobe honest I very rarely use it. I much prefer just using assisted ..is there any problems I may encounter if I remove it.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I recall reading a complaint from a bbs owner who would use a hose to spray the mud off his bafang motor and the motor quit later. Water got into the circuit board traces somehow,

Good idea to cover the display with a plastic bag in the rain. I don't think it's that water resistant.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Bet it was a jet wash the water would get in every thing:eek:
Nearly as good as a bike on a roof rack in the rain at 70mph a super power wash but you would have to be super strong to lift it upo_O
if you do not like the look of a plastic bag the water proof phone bags are a better option other smaller items fingers off gloves an zip ties if its a permanent seal a water proof cable jointing kit from screw fix

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I cycle commute all year round and also do off road on the South Downs

Never had an issue with the motor or controller (and due to a embarrassing installation error I had to disassemble and re solder the pas sensor to the controller pcb, that thing is latex compound potted to mega extremes !)

Weak link is the throttle and LCD. I have a hotel shower cap I use in extreme weather for the lcd

For throttle buy a wuxing 108x , they are the best I am aware of for wet weather . I did a post a while back about rubbish thumb throttles in kits. This one is designed differently with a hole in the bottom. A cheap and very worthwhile upgrade for wet weather riders in my view . I must have had 4 or 5 of the standard collar throttles fail on me due to water ingress (made worse by the salt as I live on the coast , everything rusts in seconds )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks for the fast replys. I'm going to give it a run tommorow and looking at the weather it's going tobe wet. I was thinking of removing the throttle tobe honest I very rarely use it. I much prefer just using assisted ..is there any problems I may encounter if I remove it.
Open the throttle casing and seal the wires with hot glue or silicone.Then u can keep the throttle through rain .I found the bbs01b totally safe in the wettest conditions.Just the throttle will cause probs and even damage to the controller ( as i learned hard way )if not sealed.