Bafang better

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
I have tried a few different manufactures E Bike offerings in various guises but I always come back to my Giant Roam Bafang converted mid drive which I think is superior to any E Bike currently available what is your opinion on your E Bike. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Panasonic mid drive was the industry sweet spot.
Reliable, torque sensing and efficient.
Gave me fantastic range and turned me into one of the fastest roadies around.
In my opinion. Sw may disagree as gutless, D8veh may say overpriced and no throttle!

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
In my opinion. Sw may disagree as gutless, D8veh may say overpriced and no throttle!
Yes i agree the Panasonic was a fantastic motor and Kalkhoff should still use them,i had the S class ones and reliability was superb.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
what is your opinion on your E Bike.
What makes it superior to any E Bike currently available for you @Geome ?

I've ended up with 3 of them. They're all superior to walking.. and having to pedal too hard. They're all great fun. :)

My commute is way too far and dodgy for a bike. I use mine purely for recreational biking with the dog and family members, so far. To that end, using mine mainly at the local country park, I'm not too fussy about their weight, torque, climbing abilities or aesthetics.

Reactions: EddiePJ and IR772

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
How come? Do you have very steep terrains where you live?
I think he means having an ebike saves you from pedalling too hard:D

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Having an e-bike lets you pedal really hard then, when you are tired, have a rest while continuing on your journey... :rolleyes:

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
What makes it superior to any E Bike currently available for you @Geome ?

I've ended up with 3 of them. They're all superior to walking.. and having to pedal too hard. They're all great fun. :)

My commute is way too far and dodgy for a bike. I use mine purely for recreational biking with the dog and family members, so far. To that end, using mine mainly at the local country park, I'm not too fussy about their weight, torque, climbing abilities or aesthetics.
One thing I like about the Bafang is the throttle which manufactures bikes do not have also I have tried the Haibikes and Giant Ebikes with the Yamaha motor and have found them to be sluggish and noisy. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Panasonic only gave a maximum of 300w output at the crank, and even lessat the back wheel. That's nowhere near enough power for heavy people. It was the only motor that couldn't get me up the test hill at Presteigne, and I tried two different ones just to be sure. The basic Bafang hub-motors of the time were giving something like 450w at the back wheel, which is 50% more power, though that reduces when climbing. The low power is what gave that Panasonic motor a good range and no problems with gear-changing, so it was also nice and smooth, but, yes, it was gutless.

Ebike nirvana for heavier people is the Xiongda motor. Smooth and quiet while giving up to 600W at the back wheel that's all converted to winch-like torque when you need to go up a very steep hill and it changes down to its low gear. You get all the advantages of hub-motors, like light weight, easy gear-changing and comfortable ride, and the torque of a crank-motor.

For middle-weight riders, the Q128H at 48v and 260 RPM is my favourite. It's the size and weight of a 250w motor, but rated at 800W. With a current control controller, you can adjust the power to whatever level you want, up to an easy 750W at the back wheel for steep climbing. It'll cruise at 20 mph up and down rolling hills without pedalling, if that's what you want, or, turn the power down and ride it just like a normal bike.

For light-weight riders, it has to be the 36V 201 rpm Q100C run at 48v and 12 amps for 20 mph cruising and 450W at the back wheel. It's a great motor for road bikes and hybrids. At only 2.2kg, you can add a 7 Ah 26 cell battery at 1.5kg and have a 13kg electric bike.

For proper off-road riding, it has to be a crank-drive. My choice would be the legal 25 amp BBS01 for self-build, otherwise you can choose whichever OEM one floats your boat.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For middle-weight riders, the Q128H at 48v and 260 RPM is my favourite.
We unplugged the lead to our Q128H (a kit bought from bmsbattery) motor and plugged it into the GSM.
It climbed like a young goat with bmsbattery's 48V 20A controller.
So much so that on the Bali, I have to reduce the controller from 48V to 36V and 20A to 18A.

• Informative