Bafang cables - why so long!

mark_44

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2018
I'm building my BBSHD commuter and am really bored by the length of the cables. I just want to create a clean looking install without loads of coiled up excess cable tied up with zip ties.

I have found someone who can build custom length cables ( https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/ ) but the minimum cable lengths at 100mm are too long given the ones that come off the controller are already long.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but I cant find a source for the HIGO connectors that dont have molded cables attached.

I looked at the picture on the bafang 01/02 installation guide, What a joke, looks super clean - because there are no flippin' wires!

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I hide the excess in a small saddle bag or you could cut an shut the cable
The easy way is to cut it several inches back from the moulded plugs remove the required length of cable from the longer end strip back both cables if you stagger the joins it is not such a lump
Then splice back solder insulate and shrink wrap very low cost this also works if you want to thread the cables through the frame

Reactions: mark_44

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want a factory finish, you have to thread the main cable through the frame.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have thought about putting the cable in the frame you can do the main one easy two holes grommets and an old net curtain wire as a draw cable .:)
I would want to hide them all the speed sensor display etc
I do not fancy putting holes in the handle bars :eek: I can imagine cone cutters hole saws glue gun gorilla tape in my nightmares :rolleyes: easy in a purpose designed frame

mark_44

Jul 29, 2018
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The 100mm length is the minimum length that company can make, but that would be on top of the cables coming from the motor. I could probably just about make that work for the main harness to the display, brake and gear sensor (don't want throttle).

The speed sensor cable however nearly reaches the rear drop out as it is without even adding the extra cable and connector on the sensor itself. Same with the gear sensor.It appears like cutting the connectors and hard wiring may be the only option here?

My frame has not got any internal cable routing holes - and being Titanium - I don't really want to start drilling into it!

Does this help...
http://www.higoconnector.com/home
They may do custom length cables.
I saw the link above - but I think they are the manufacturers main distributor for OEM suppliers and doubt they could be bothered to sell 1 or 2 connectors to end users. I suppose it cant hurt to ask.

Such a shame you cant access the sensors PCB by unscrewing and just trim internally. Or can you?

Cheers

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The internal wiring and controller are potted in a rubbery compound, so not really worth it as there is a high risk of damaging the components. Higo connectors are injection moulded , the 100mm min. may be to do with this process.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The internal wiring and controller are potted in a rubbery compound, so not really worth it as there is a high risk of damaging the components. Higo connectors are injection moulded , the 100mm min. may be to do with this process.
Correct, that is the amount of wire they are delivered with. Best to get wired single plugs and splice or even cheaper splice the standard wires.

There are panel mount plugs which are ideal for mounting on controller boxes, I think I will do PAS, brake and speed sensors mounted like that. https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/higo/higo-mini-b-series-connectors-panelmount

mark_44

Jul 29, 2018
In trying to work out the best length for the custom cable I've just ordered I had a face-palm moment.

I had mounted and fixed the motor and cranks - but the best route for the main system cable would appear to be between the bottom bracket and the motor, which is not possible to thread through with the clamp fitted. And you cant take the clamp off without removing the crank arm. And that crank arm ain't going anywhere! Doh!

Cue purchase of a crank extractor tool!

This is not mentioned in any manual or video I have seen so I thought I'd share my mistake so others don't have to make the same one!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
In trying to work out the best length for the custom cable I've just ordered I had a face-palm moment.

I had mounted and fixed the motor and cranks - but the best route for the main system cable would appear to be between the bottom bracket and the motor, which is not possible to thread through with the clamp fitted. And you cant take the clamp off without removing the crank arm. And that crank arm ain't going anywhere! Doh!

Cue purchase of a crank extractor tool!

This is not mentioned in any manual or video I have seen so I thought I'd share my mistake so others don't have to make the same one!
Don't be too hard on yourself. Nearly everyone makes the same mistake when installing a BBS motor for the first time.

mark_44

Jul 29, 2018
Don't be too hard on yourself. Nearly everyone makes the same mistake when installing a BBS motor for the first time.
Cheers.

You know when you think you've done all your homework - then BOOM - back to square one!

Im not sure why this isn't mentioned in the manual if its such a common mistake. Oh yeah - what manual!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Cheers.

You know when you think you've done all your homework - then BOOM - back to square one!

Im not sure why this isn't mentioned in the manual if its such a common mistake. Oh yeah - what manual!
Some vendors do state that you should figure out your wire routing as a first step, but most people dismiss this as unnecessarily cautious (I know I did). They then end up kicking themselves once they realise they have to start from scratch in order to route the wires correctly.