Bafang loom and shift sensor

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I'm tidying things up a bit on my new build and fitting normal brake levers instead of Bafangs lumpy things and have bought the through wire type sensors(no gluing magnets etc) so i thought that while i was at it i would fit a gear sensor after all its only £15 and the Bafang loom has 3 Higo plugs apart from the green display/LCD plug, or so i thought. The stuff arrived very quickly from AliExpress and then i find that the extra yellow plug is the wrong sex(Grrr) am i forced to buy the Y lead and run 2 off of one and tuck the wrong sex plug out of the way or do they do a plug to change it back to normal. Any Advice or help welcome, just a though could i cut the plugs off and solder the wires together? anyone done that? or should i just give up the gear sensor idea.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The 3rd higo plug is for a throttle, hence why it is the wrong sex for a gear sensor. Depending on the age of your drive, you may have a plug coming out of the controller.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
@wheeliepete Of course, how stupid of me lol, i dont fit a throttle so i totally forgot about that, dam i should have got the Y cable when i bought the sensor. Oh well live and learn(yet again)

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
OK slight change of plan, one brake sensor on rear brake, None on front brake and gear shift sensor on front brake higo plug. I never use the front brake alone so i think that is still safe. Hopefully.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
One brake sensor on the rear is fine, as you say when do you ever front brake only.:eek:Did you look for connector on the motor?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
One of the sellers of the high power bbshd kits says he never fits brake cut offs as you do not need them:eek: just trust to luck :rolleyes:

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
One of the sellers of the high power bbshd kits says he never fits brake cut offs as you do not need them:eek: just trust to luck :rolleyes:
tried that! and when i put weight on the pedals you could feel the motor pushing even though you had the brake on, it was very disconcerting and it didn't feel like it was doing the motor any good, tried it for a week but i couldn't get used to it.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The number of PAS magnets means the slightest of pressure on the pedals with BBS0x and clones = power. I wouldn't want that on a 1000W motor or even a 250W motor...

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I really should stop spending money on E-Bike stuff!! Fitted the gear shift sensor and front brake sensor and i also got a Bafang 500C mini colour Display.
Went on a 30 odd mile round trip from Bristol to Bath(bank holiday monday) and back along the cycle track which is really nice because they have a steam engine running along a part of the old railway at Bitton, there is also a cafe with genuine British Rail prices but the cake was well above BR quality.
The 500C LCD mini display worked perfect and looks the part, but its very small and i have to stop to be able to see the volts(lol), maybe i will acclimatize but it is a work of art and quite discrete.
The brake sensor is fine BUT i hate the gear sensor and i mean hate with a passion. I am in the process of removing it now. I have two so if anyone wants one PM me and we can come to some arrangement. The only reason i got them is because i intend to upgrade one of my bikes from its 250w motor to a 750w and i thought with the increased power i would need it, but thats not going to happen, infact i am wondering if i ought to go for a 500w.