Bafang Max Drive bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We don't know the price of a Bafang Max motor set. Or do we Woosh? There is some extra cost in the frame but that disappears with volume sales. And the big item, as on all bikes, is the battery, I think the Max would be happiest married to a 15 or 17 Ah 36 V or an 11.6 Ah 48 V.

Your cycle to work scheme doesn't take into account pedelecs, it is designed for bicycles. This has lead to an artificial (IMHO) £1000 barrier on pedelec prices, a limit at £1500 or £1750 would be more realistic for a pedelec to be used for riding to work every day. A £1500 bafang Max powered bike with decent components would not be overpriced.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We don't know the price of a Bafang Max motor set. Or do we Woosh?
I have ordered samples for evaluation but my gut instinct says don't go there - the numbers don't add up. Too strong competition methinks.

We don't know the price of a Bafang Max motor set. Or do we Woosh? There is some extra cost in the frame but that disappears with volume sales. And the big item, as on all bikes, is the battery, I think the Max would be happiest married to a 15 or 17 Ah 36 V or an 11.6 Ah 48 V.

Your cycle to work scheme doesn't take into account pedelecs, it is designed for bicycles. This has lead to an artificial (IMHO) £1000 barrier on pedelec prices, a limit at £1500 or £1750 would be more realistic for a pedelec to be used for riding to work every day. A £1500 bafang Max powered bike with decent components would not be overpriced.
These guys make it possible.
https://www.proc2w.co.uk/

Reactions: Gaz
I have ordered samples for evaluation but my gut instinct says don't go there - the numbers don't add up. Too strong competition methinks.
Whole bike samples from China seem to come in about the same if not higher than the Greenway bike (for similar spec). Even on MOQ of 10 there's not much in it, is there?
Which is why, I think many of us here, are confused by the bargain basement price of what is a desirable product.
Defo agree about the torque sensor vs PAS preference.

Reactions: Garri

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes but this is a recent development and we have had quite a few people on here say "my company can't do that..." etc.
They've been around for a little while now I think.
Yes, I appreciate some companies are not able to work with the arrangement. It needs to be made simple and easy work with in order to incentivise people/companies to use it.
Possibilities in the future hopefully.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which is why, I think many of us here, are confused by the bargain basement price of what is a desirable product.
agreed. They may try 'toe in the water' - a bit like kickstarter to see at what price level it'll sell. It did start at £1,400 then dropped to £1,200 before selling well at £1,000. It's doable if you sell wholesale at this price to professionals.

agreed. They may try 'toe in the water' - a bit like kickstarter to see at what price level it'll sell. It did start at £1,400 then dropped to £1,200 before selling well at £1,000. It's doable if you sell wholesale at this price to professionals.
Agree, it doesn't seem to be their forte, that appears to be cheap and slightly cheerful (throw away bikes) at the £200 price point.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Yes but this is a recent development and we have had quite a few people on here say "my company can't do that..." etc.
Large companies, and probably others get good deals from the big retailers for cycle to work , such as Evans cycles and in return get a further 10% off the price and free accessories up to £65 as I did at London midland, it is possible for Evans to order in a special bike but there would be no returns basis and you have to look at warranty implications, they ordered in a Rose bike for the CTW for my sister.

perhaps we should start a buying cooperative.
I do like the bike, but would still prefer a decent quality bike with a BBS01 on myself. The Greenway Cross MaxDrive would make a great commuter tool. Even in the sub £1500 category, I'd still think it's worth every penny. A slightly larger battery would be good. Better forks and hubs would be nice.
Both rack and mudguard mounts are there.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
What would be a suitable 48v battery to get the best from this Maxdrive - a link to something around 12ah maybe?
And is it as simple as that or do settings have to be changed via a programming lead?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What would be a suitable 48v battery to get the best from this Maxdrive - a link to something around 12ah maybe?
I think so too. That's what I have fitted to my sample Max Drive bikes on order. 48V 12AH Samsung cells, maximum continuous output 20A.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I think so too. That's what I have fitted to my sample Max Drive bikes on order. 48V 12AH Samsung cells, maximum continuous output 20A.
I'm looking to find suitable 48v battery to fit to my bike, I'll have to then take a trip down south and talk nicely to Brightonebikes to tweak my settings, a little.
The bike kinda reminds me of an Audi 1.8t factory set very safe, but give it tweak and boy what a different animal.

I'm looking to find suitable 48v battery to fit to my bike, I'll have to then take a trip down south and talk nicely to Brightonebikes to tweak my settings, a little.
The bike kinda reminds me of an Audi 1.8t factory set very safe, but give it tweak and boy what a different animal.
Haha!
I'm still very much in beta testing on the max drive programming my end, but for my taste it's improved from the stock settings already with just a few basic adjustments. - Slowly slowly catchee monkey.
I've got a very nice new 'tigershark' 48V 14Ah (Panasonics) with 30A max. under consideration for wee test.
Awaiting advices on other stuff before I get too carried away!

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Haha!
I'm still very much in beta testing on the max drive programming my end, but for my taste it's improved from the stock settings already with just a few basic adjustments.
Can you confirm which lead you are using for the progamming? I may get one "just in case" :)

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Can anyone suggest suitable front & rear lighting to make use of the connectors in the motor?
Also a 48t chainwheel & which programming lead - pref ebay where poss please.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Can anyone suggest suitable front & rear lighting to make use of the connectors in the motor?
Also a 48t chainwheel & which programming lead - pref ebay where poss please.
b+m make a range of quality lights that wire in direct.

48 tooth means you have a 26" wheel or smaller and it is mostly flat where you live? Or you are young and strong so providing plenty of Watts yourself?