Bafang Max Drive bikes

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
I was thinking about Ultrafunkulas experience with the 48t - possibly more suitable to have 44t around here as it can get quite hilly in places.
Just don't want to spin out.
I like the idea of a plug & play lighting solution but not adverse to a bit of soldering - any suggestions?

I was thinking about Ultrafunkulas experience with the 48t - possibly more suitable to have 44t around here as it can get quite hilly in places.
Just don't want to spin out.
I like the idea of a plug & play lighting solution but not adverse to a bit of soldering - any suggestions?
You're quite right Recy, I think above 44T it could bog the motor down a bit on some of the hills around here. It gives much better gearing, the 38T spun out far too easily. Fast pedal downhill delivered 31/32 mph.
I haven't looked for suitable lights yet, but will probably look to fit some integrated ones. - I'm all ears for any suggestions too. :)

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You're quite right Recy, I think above 44T it could bog the motor down a bit on some of the hills around here. It gives much better gearing, the 38T spun out far too easily. Fast pedal downhill delivered 31/32 mph.
I haven't looked for suitable lights yet, but will probably look to fit some integrated ones. - I'm all ears for any suggestions too. :)

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!
You spin a bit faster than me! :(

With 42:11 I spin out at around 29 mph (28" wheel with 2" tyres) but as wind resistance is the major problem at that speed I don't feel it is worth my while mounting a 44. The original 46 tooth was OK but not up to some of the hills (I stalled the motor once :eek:) so I opted for a twin chainwheel on a BBS01 spider.

This is of course a GSM motor but it being a clone of the BBS01 most things BBS01 apply to it too.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It was not a comfortable pedal rate!
A 44/11 needs about 90rpm for 30mph.

I could only manage that for a short burst, but plenty of roadies could spin it continuously.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A 44/11 needs about 90rpm for 30mph.

I could only manage that for a short burst, but plenty of roadies could spin it continuously.
85. That's my downhill cadence I can only manage 70 on the flat :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The one listed CH340G.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
The bike has arrived (for friend but I'll get to ride too sometimes) and it's now set up. Quick delivery, very well packaged, no issues.
Friend is very tall and with seat post extended to safe limit it fits very well. Brakes needed a quick setup and while the front wheel was off I packed the axle with grease - a bit sparse in there.
Tomorrow he'll take it for a spin & no doubt tweak the gear change as others have mentioned. I'll get a quick report & provide a little feedback here.
Very nice looking in a semi-matte black & a little bigger than expected. Not particularly heavy or light. Fittings go on well, no issues with poor fastenings etc so long as you use decent tools. Looking forward to getting a blast on it myself. It actually looks the biz.

Utakos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
The bike has arrived (for friend but I'll get to ride too sometimes) and it's now set up. Quick delivery, very well packaged, no issues.
Friend is very tall and with seat post extended to safe limit it fits very well. Brakes needed a quick setup and while the front wheel was off I packed the axle with grease - a bit sparse in there.
Tomorrow he'll take it for a spin & no doubt tweak the gear change as others have mentioned. I'll get a quick report & provide a little feedback here.
Very nice looking in a semi-matte black & a little bigger than expected. Not particularly heavy or light. Fittings go on well, no issues with poor fastenings etc so long as you use decent tools. Looking forward to getting a blast on it myself. It actually looks the biz.
How are you getting on with the bike, I am so close to purchasing one.
On a side note to everyone stay clear of the latest scam artist that are now cropping up on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/GREENWAY-Electric-Samsung-Li-ion-battery/B01M7SB71V/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1487022329&sr=1-1&keywords=greenway+electric+bike the so called company is D J Wholesale2014they have various listings

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nor Czech Republic regulations either but they seem more relaxed about that over there... :rolleyes: It has one of those bendy seat post frames but not bad looking for 1850 €

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's not clear.
A off road switch is prohibited. Not eu legal.
The cyclomatic and BBS 01 can be reprogrammed to off road mode.
If it's the second way it could be uk legal.

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
I am unable to find it now but there was a bike which gave the legal cut off limit but press the "I" and another button (not sure which) together gave the higher speed pedelec cut off.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
It's not clear.
A off road switch is prohibited. Not eu legal.
The cyclomatic and BBS 01 can be reprogrammed to off road mode.
If it's the second way it could be uk legal.
I went to the website, it hasn't got a switch , it says it is "possible" to raise the std speed limit , it has the standard dealer limit to 25kmh programmed into the unit which can be raised by inputting the password and raising in the sub menu same as the greenway.
When u look at Agog dealers there are certainly plenty of them on the map that pops up.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I went to the website, it hasn't got a switch , it says it is "possible" to raise the std speed limit , it has the standard dealer limit to 25kmh programmed into the unit which can be raised by inputting the password and raising in the sub menu same as the greenway.
When u look at Agog dealers there are certainly plenty of them on the map that pops up.
Then your sorted. It's legal on restricted, and if you join Sw on his estate you could keep him in sight.

Reactions: Woosh

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
Oh wise members, I need some assistance on which to choose. So far I have hired a Freego Martin City to see how the Max Drive handles and really like it, much better than Bosch, (especially as you can hack the software) on a par with Yamaha. So far the choices are Greenway Cross/City (really nice price £1000), Freego Martin Sport 2016 (local dealer £1799) and the Agogs Max MTB (£1600 shiped from CZ) or do you have any others I should be looking at?
On a side note, my first love was the Haibike Sduro Hardseven SL 2016 but it is not available in my size any more and the new 2017 prices and the stupidly tiny display on the 2017 replacement has brought me back to the Bafang route.

Oh wise members, I need some assistance on which to choose. So far I have hired a Freego Martin City to see how the Max Drive handles and really like it, much better than Bosch, (especially as you can hack the software) on a par with Yamaha. So far the choices are Greenway Cross/City (really nice price £1000), Freego Martin Sport 2016 (local dealer £1799) and the Agogs Max MTB (£1600 shiped from CZ) or do you have any others I should be looking at?
On a side note, my first love was the Haibike Sduro Hardseven SL 2016 but it is not available in my size any more and the new 2017 prices and the stupidly tiny display on the 2017 replacement has brought me back to the Bafang route.
For my money the Bafang max drive is the shrewd choice. The cross is a lot of bike for the money but it depends what sort of riding you'll do and what you want it to be for you.