Bafang Max Drive

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
well I am new to all this ebike stuff, and still getting around on pedal power only.

But having come across the Bafang Max Drive, I am convinced that this is the way forward.

Been having a look at the YouTube stuff, and all is looking good, just a case of waiting now for UK dealers to grasp the nettle and offer this unit in various options, I can't help thinking that Bosch and Yamaha will be more than concerned about this upstart!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is a good motor but it is Chinese. What we really need is a cheap European motor of the same style. It isn't a crazy idea even Gocycle can make a cheap version of their bikes when they want to.

My preference is the Yamaha because it has normal chainrings and you can even have two if you need them! Bosch, bof! Brose why not but too high end expensive still.

Hope won't come from the UK (the market is too small) but maybe one of the French or Spanish cheaper bike assemblers will get it on their bikes?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What's up with Chinese gear?
Lots of stuff is made there. Give them the money and they won't just gold plate it, they would make it gold.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What's up with Chinese gear?
Lots of stuff is made there. Give them the money and they won't just gold plate it, they would make it gold.
Tariffs, import duties, logistics... Nothing wrong with Chinese motors they make everything I ride anyway these days. Just that this specific motor needs a special frame to go in so you would most likely import the lot and we appear to be looking at anti dumping duties on Chinese e-bikes any day now...

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I would have thought that a manufacturer could just buy in the Bafang Max Drive motor unit, and build into a UK or EU produced Max Drive specific frame.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep tommie, seems that a few ebike manufacturers have already tooled up, for the Bafang Max Drive, none of the big names though, as Bosch and Yamaha seem to have got the big names already.

I did come across Maxwell of Australia, who list a Bafang Max Drive bike, although I guess they are just buying in ready made bikes from China.

Of course it is still early days for the Bafang Max Drive, from what I can tell it only went into production last year, I am sure we will start to see a lot more of them before to long.

Do we know who makes the Bosch and Yamaha motors, probably made under licence in China I would have thought.

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
The maxdrive is an excellent bit of kit - More torque than the Bosch or Yamaha motors too! Check my post in the next hour or so in the dealer offers section, we're selling a few prototype bikes off.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
well I am new to all this ebike stuff, and still getting around on pedal power only.

But having come across the Bafang Max Drive, I am convinced that this is the way forward.

Been having a look at the YouTube stuff, and all is looking good, just a case of waiting now for UK dealers to grasp the nettle and offer this unit in various options, I can't help thinking that Bosch and Yamaha will be more than concerned about this upstart!
Did you see the maxdrive unit i posted? The only other I can see is the Martin at 1800 quid. Im with you they look good but what happens if they go wrong?

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Look forward to seeing that Zack
Here you go Andy: clicky a damn sight cheaper than the freego, however they are early prototypes, so don't carry branding if that kind of thing bothers you!

As far as "If it goes wrong" goes, we've ordered 10 complete motor kits (at $540 each) to pluck spares from should we need them so the spares are readily available! However I've been abusing one on and off road for 8 months now and it hasn't put a foot out of place!

Reactions: Andy88

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks for the heads up Zack, all I need to find now is Bafang Max Drive bike, that has Sliding Drop Outs, so that I can ditch the derailure and drop my Rohloff in.

In the ideal world I would need the Bafang to give a Chain Line of 54mm (58mm optional) otherwise I may have to use a Chain Tensioner.

Do you have any idea what the Chain Line is for the Bafang Max Drive, maybe it's the same as the BBS motors 60mm +/- although on those motors the Chain Line can be altered 5mm either way, using different Chain Rings, or by using Bottom Bracket spacers.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Thanks for the heads up Zack, all I need to find now is Bafang Max Drive bike, that has Sliding Drop Outs, so that I can ditch the derailure and drop my Rohloff in.

In the ideal world I would need the Bafang to give a Chain Line of 54mm (58mm optional) otherwise I may have to use a Chain Tensioner.

Do you have any idea what the Chain Line is for the Bafang Max Drive, maybe it's the same as the BBS motors 60mm +/- although on those motors the Chain Line can be altered 5mm either way, using different Chain Rings, or by using Bottom Bracket spacers.
wouldn't worry that much about the frame dropouts, mine were almost vertical so used a chain tensioner - BBS02 with Alfine 8 hub.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep tommie, if a Chain Tensioner is good enough for the £6000! Riese & Muller Bosch ebike that is Rohloff equipped, then it will be good enough for me on a Bafang Max Drive ebike.

Such a pity though though that Riese & Muller could not do the job properly, especially for that kind of money.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Don't get me wrong, and I have no problem with using a Chain Tensioner, but both my IGH bikes don't have one.

The bike with a SRAM Spectro P7 uses a Dennis Bushnell EBB, and my Rohloff bike uses Sliding Drop Out's.

Both systems are the best way of adjusting chain tension, and at the same time keeps the drive train neat.

Without EBB or Sliding Drop Outs, the only way of keeping chain tension when using a IGH is to use a Chain Tensioner, which is a compromise which ever way you skin the cat.

Of course using the Bafang Max Drive, rules out the EBB solution, but Sliding Drop Outs would work a treat.

I noticed that the Trek Super Commuter, uses a Bosch motor, and is a very nice rigid ebike, that uses Sliding Drop Outs, I
ideal for a Rohloff or Nuvinci 360 retro fit.

So it's not beyond the realms, that maybe one day a Bafang Max Drive bike will be available with Sliding Drop Outs, wishful thinking on my part.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I like the fixed tensioner on mine, seconds to adjust the chain tension compared to messing about with the bottom bracket or drop-outs.
E-bikes are much harder on chains so adjustments are required more often.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I think one of the reasons my chain did so well was because of the chain tensioner. Just to remind you 8560 miles.