band brake

MarkFewtrell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2018
Ive never come across a brake like this before. On a Powabyke i bought. One rear cog. Not sure of model but clearly a commuter i think.IMG_20180817_091000[1].jpg IMG_20180817_091017[1].jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No they are correctly called a Band Brake. They were often used on cheap Chinese e-bikes more than a decade ago but had a number of disadvantages, like squealing and eratic braking performance.

The advent of Shimano's roller brake spelled an end for them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Agree with flecc. Light years away from the progressive braking a hydraulic system offers. I remember mine tended to lock the rear wheel with hardly any extra brake lever travel. Horribly dangerous in wet conditions.

A lesson learned :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thanks. want to keep wheel. perhaps a disc fitted?
Different mounting I'm afraid. Here's a disc brake hub mounting:

Band brakes mounted on a wider boss like the one arrowed on the motor below. That's got a coating since the brake wasn't fitted, so I'm not sure if it was splined or threaded under the coating:

• Agree
Reactions: MarkFewtrell

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think you can.
The non drive side motor lid needs to have support for the rollerbrakes like this:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
maybe sort a battery first. cant live with 12 kg lead acid!
you can replace them with new smaller and lighter SLAs but don't spend money on a Lithium battery for it, consider to let the old bike go.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

MarkFewtrell

Aug 14, 2018
you can replace them with new smaller and lighter SLAs but don't spend money on a Lithium battery for it, consider to let the old bike go.
Im beginning to think the same. i paid £50 for it so no real damage. i dont know if existing battery works. it has a kettle plug.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can open the battery, inside there will be two or 3 12V SLAs. They are connected with crimps, so easy to replace if necessary.
Check the voltage with a multitester.

MarkFewtrell

Aug 14, 2018
you can open the battery, inside there will be two or 3 12V SLAs. They are connected with crimps, so easy to replace if necessary.
Check the voltage with a multitester.
yeh i understand the battery. maybe i should put a motorbike engine in it!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yeh i understand the battery. maybe i should put a motorbike engine in it!
A good way to get to know your local police better. ;)

I agree on scrapping that Powabyke, today's e-bikes are so much better in every way. It's why Powabyke became insolvent after ten years of no change and had to be rescued.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyway to reuse the rear wheel and electrics with a new lith battery?
You can reuse it just by adding a 36 volt lithium battery, but it will need to have a high discharge capability since that Powabyke motor can give up to 600 watts maximum power, the controller delivering up to 20 amps. But the motor is a brushed one and old, so could fail, leaving you stuck with an expensive lithium battery doing nothing.

That brake is the immediate problem though, you do need two brakes to be legal.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike