band brake

MarkFewtrell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2018
Understand what youre saying. I dont think the battery is an issue unless i dont intend to have an electric bike. The frame is dead but i always knew that. I thank everyone for their input.

Lux1

Sep 12, 2018
You’ve probably got rid of the powabyke now, I’m in a similar situation, although I got mine for a tenner, - and it has half decent rim brakes.

For your information, my SLA batteries where all dead, the controller was hanging off too.

I rigged an 18volt 3ah Bosch drill battery to a switch and straight to the motor. The bike had no trouble carrying me a across a field at a modest 11 mph.

I’m going to keep my old powabyke for fun and run it from a couple of powertool lithium batteries that I have.

I’m happy with just a few miles or assistance up a hill.

MarkFewtrell

Aug 14, 2018
You’ve probably got rid of the powabyke now, I’m in a similar situation, although I got mine for a tenner, - and it has half decent rim brakes.

For your information, my SLA batteries where all dead, the controller was hanging off too.

I rigged an 18volt 3ah Bosch drill battery to a switch and straight to the motor. The bike had no trouble carrying me a across a field at a modest 11 mph.

I’m going to keep my old powabyke for fun and run it from a couple of powertool lithium batteries that I have.

I’m happy with just a few miles or assistance up a hill.
Excellent experiment. The lith battery blocks in drills and other electric devices id been thinking on. Actually i still have it. The weight of battery is insane. Id thought of buying those battery blocs. I intend to chop the back end to take a fat wheel maybe! Have a look at this

Lux1

Sep 12, 2018
That’s an ambitious transformation! My powabyke looks pretty sorry for itself, but I thought about respraying it, fitting chunkier tyres etc and some panniers, and using it’ll for some longer rides than I’d normally do on my conventional bike.

I intend to fully charge my 18v battery and will see how far it gets me. I reckon about 4-5 miles due to the saving in weight for a start. I cannot believe how strong the motor is, - I hotwired mine to half the recommended voltage, jumped on it quick and had a great five minutes doing laps in my field.

Felt like an old granny though!

Attachments

MarkFewtrell

Aug 14, 2018
That’s an ambitious transformation! My powabyke looks pretty sorry for itself, but I thought about respraying it, fitting chunkier tyres etc and some panniers, and using it’ll for some longer rides than I’d normally do on my conventional bike.

I intend to fully charge my 18v battery and will see how far it gets me. I reckon about 4-5 miles due to the saving in weight for a start. I cannot believe how strong the motor is, - I hotwired mine to half the recommended voltage, jumped on it quick and had a great five minutes doing laps in my field.

Felt like an old granny though!
same as mine. this is a commercial design. pic.we have front end. cut and reweld. the electric hells angels!

Attachments

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
They is lot to be said for designing ebike or kit that uses power tool batteries. At least battery can be dual use.

Lux1

Sep 12, 2018
Just an update on my bike, I’ve put the powabyke 200w front hub motor on my old mountain bike and it works a treat. Half the weight of the old powabyke and works well from a couple of 18v batteries in series. Whilst it still isn’t a looker, it works.

Attachments