Battery Baffler

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Silver paper of the type used in chocolate bars, polo mints or in old fashioned cigarette packages or kitchen foil will work but is a dangerous activity... One is replacing a known value fuse with something which won't want to blow. If you don't want to measure or understand what a fuse does a fuse, then tricking about with fuses is just dangerous ...
The shiney wrapping on crisp packages is just plastic and won't work...

DaveSickofthis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2018
Rochdale
HI Thanks Dani - I remember my Dad doing it with a fag packet yomks ago
I went one worse last night and used some electric wire but it still didnt work anyway - The new battery is going to help as I can even try the fuses in that if that charges ok - I appreciate the advice with the meter but it seems pointless in my case as I will never use it again in my lifetime as I wont go near electrics except to turn them on and off lol
Oh btw I got the fuse stuck like a moron by using the wire and it broke getting it out and I could see the wire inside was not blown anyway - So will have to get a new one if I keep the battery :)
Cheers
Dave

DaveSickofthis

Apr 19, 2018
Rochdale
DERRR! :oops: Thanks guys for all your help but I did say I was electro docile!
Got some fuse wire and I was concentrating on the big fuse under the handle - Its the little baby 5 amp one thats the problem - Both Charging fine now with both my new and spare chargers - So must have been the original faulty charger that blew them - Thanks again as I didnt know about the fuses and Lifecycle boss Stewart at Electric Bike World is in for a bollicking for not mentioning these when I outlined the fault - sold me a charger and wanted me to send them the batteries for testing as they overhaul these batteries! :mad:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Knowledge gained then for the price of a charger, not so bad on the scale of things. Your unwillingness to engage in very simple testing could of saved you from feeling like you do. Like has been said, own an ebike, own a multi meter. Plenty on here happy and willing to guide you through being able to use it. Learning is good:)

D

Deleted member 4366

Got some fuse wire and I was concentrating on the big fuse under the handle - Its the little baby 5 amp one thats the problem -
By "the one under the handle", I meant literally, i.e. concealed by the handle. Everything about the battery, including the main fuse, is under the handle if you were thinking vertically because the handle is on the top of the battery!

DaveSickofthis

Apr 19, 2018
Rochdale
By "the one under the handle", I meant literally, i.e. concealed by the handle. Everything about the battery, including the main fuse, is under the handle if you were thinking vertically because the handle is on the top of the battery!
Yep got it now thanks - This ones actually over the ignition but of course under the handle:) Just me being dumb! Im just charging both batteries at the mo and noticed they charge with that big one missing - Directly under the handle lol (Seeing I destroyed one lol) Got some coming from ebay
And Yes Pete I totally agree - Im a dick! I dont even understand myself why I have such an aversion to anything Electrical! And If I EVER get any electrical fault on the bike again I will deffo buy a multimeter
I really do appreciate your help
On the bright side I needed a spare charger replacement anyway :)
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yep got it now thanks - This ones actually over the ignition but of course under the handle:) Just me being dumb! Im just charging both batteries at the mo and noticed they charge with that big one missing - Directly under the handle lol (Seeing I destroyed one lol) Got some coming from ebay
And Yes Pete I totally agree - Im a dick! I dont even understand myself why I have such an aversion to anything Electrical! And If I EVER get any electrical fault on the bike again I will deffo buy a multimeter
I really do appreciate your help
On the bright side I needed a spare charger replacement anyway :)
Cheers
Dave
The time to get the meter is now, when you don't need it... An hour playing with it , for instance measuring the resistance of your own skin , or the resistance between tongue and roof of mouth etc. Is fun and educational....
As Macron repeated yesterday we have nothing to fear except fear itself.....
But in your enthusiasm, stay away from measuring the electrical mains....
In defence of your supplier, he probably assumed that measuring the fuses would have been done as a matter of course.

DaveSickofthis

Apr 19, 2018
Rochdale
Hi Yep you are right - I shall get one - I have no intention of going anywhere near the mains lol
And No he didn't said he had never heard of it happening before

Advertisers