Battery charging

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi people
I've been out on the ebike done about 17miles yesterday..battery started at 87% after the ride it was showing 50%. So I swapped to voltage on the display and it shows 36v exactly. The battery is 15ah hailong. With built in BMS and the lights on it show 2 out of the four..so half way.. Does this sound correct and at what level should I recharge it..what is the norm..am I ok to go another 17mile or not..sorry for the stupid question but I'm use to using batteries running them down to a safe voltage then balance charging as I use Lipo in my other hobby. Maybe I will check the voltage with the multimeter..what is the safe cut off voltage point.
Regards
Jim

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Recharge, no point in draining down to LVC unless you are out on a longer run and need to eke out all the range required. LVC will be min 31v though more likely 33 - 34v. The higher the voltage is, the more pep from the motor you will get.
Don't rely on led's though they can give an indication of rough voltage, generally each led will equate to 25/50/75 & 100% in voltage terms, the voltage readout will be more accurate which you can confirm with a DVM reading.

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Recharge, no point in draining down to LVC unless you are out on a longer run and need to eke out all the range required. LVC will be min 31v though more likely 33 - 34v. The higher the voltage is, the more pep from the motor you will get.
Don't rely on led's though they can give an indication of rough voltage, generally each led will equate to 25/50/75 & 100% in voltage terms, the voltage readout will be more accurate which you can confirm with a DVM reading.
Thanks Neilh
I will check out with the DVM.. I will give it a few hours charge as I will probably go out with it later..I'm still messing with he confirmed settings and at the moment have keep current at 100% and I will change back to 75% as I find at 100 the power seems to dissipate quicker.. Maybe it's me but that's how it feels. I do however find I ride in PAS level 5 mostly and that's the top power mode Anyway still experimental.
Jim

D

Deleted member 4366

At 36v, it's more like 2/3 of the way down. There are more watt-hours and more power at the top of the battery than the bottom because there are more volts.

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
At 36v, it's more like 2/3 of the way down. There are more watt-hours and more power at the top of the battery than the bottom because there are more volts.
Thanks D8veh
I think you about right I could feel the battery bleeding off at this point. As you say more power At the top of the battery. But still quite enough to get me home and up some biggish hills.anyway I'm charging now getting ready for my afternoon fix..lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Led or lcd battery level displays are a bit of a lottery in gauging how much voltage is left unless you check at intervals with a dvm, then you can get a better idea of possible range left after several rides.
My lcd2 shows 2 segments left which I know is about 36.5v so I know there is a bit left in the tank, lately my 3+ year old 29E's have been achieving well over 30 miles on a charge though I am only using pas 2 with the 8FUN CST/20a KT and still hit 20mph.
If I up the anti and use pas 3 then mileage is only 20 -25.