Battery cost

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Hi
Been looking at one of Franks bikes, as I've sold mine. It's the Hipowercycles New 56 volt 10 AH. But battery replacement is expensive, I am totally out of touch regarding batterys could use some advise on replacement batterys such as and when I going to need them. From what I can see two different cells available. Also some idea on time life span if known on an average. Any feed back appreciated. thank you

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's complicated. Every time a lithium Ion cell is charged and then fully discharged, it loses a bit of capacity. One of the mechanisms is that the act of charging forces more material into a rigid structure and little bits fall off..... If the cell is not charged as much is to a slightly lower voltage, the stress is less. Likewise if it is not discharged fully the strain is less. The best arrangement therefore is to never cycle the battery from full to fully empty,as it might only endure 500 of these cycles before losing 15% of its capacity . But it might handle 1500 to 2000 cycles from 100% to 40% for the same excursions... This is contrary advice to that previously given for Ni CAD ... And Denver it might still have 70% of initial capacity after 1000 cycles..

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
OK, thanks for reply. It's appreciated.