Battery lock

JDO

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2017
London
Hello, I bought a Woosh bike last week and it is great. However one issue I am dealing with is the battery lock. With the lock on it stays on the bike but easily lifts off the bike without the key. It doesn't matter what position the lock is in.
I had thought the lock secured it to the bike?
It is a retractable bolt rather than a deadlock bolt. The latch hole is fairly shallow and has a sloping side which is enough to push the retactable bolt back. A gentle tug pulls the battery out. I can't see any damage to the lock. Is this normal? Do people take the lock with them when locking the bike up?
Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

In the 7 years of activity on this forum, I can't remember anyone reporting that their battery was nicked from their bike, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Without knowing which bike/battery you have, it's impossible to help further.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
In the 7 years of activity on this forum, I can't remember anyone reporting that their battery was nicked from their bike, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
Didn't cwah have a large 18650 pack stolen from his Dahon while left locked up? That's the only one I remember and I've been here since 2012.

ChilledMatt

May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
Didn't cwah have a large 18650 pack stolen from his Dahon while left locked up? That's the only one I remember and I've been here since 2012.
I always remove my battery when locking up in town just to make the entire bike a little less desirable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As my bottle battery is covered by the insurance I though maybe a "Please steal me" sticker might help me get a replacement now that it has lost capacity :D

• :D
Reactions: MikelBikel

JDO

Oct 19, 2017
London

Thanks. Sorry. I meant to say it is the Woosh Rio Mountain bike.
Battery is a 17AH lithium battery positioned on down tube.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
It is a retractable bolt rather than a deadlock bolt. The latch hole is fairly shallow and has a sloping side which is enough to push the retactable bolt back.
Sounds like a spring loaded 'Latch' bolt with a sloping side 'striker' to allow it to be slid into place, locking without the key, which is only used to remove batt. Am i right? (My Woosh has the opposite problem of batt being Permanently Locked In :)).
Best take your new bike back for an expert fix if a squirt of penetrating oil won't sort it. Meantime keep battery, safe and dry but cool. Good luck.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

People steal things either for fun \ vandalism or for profit. Your standard thief would not see a market for such a minority item.. it certainly doesn't look 400 quids worth. And to whom will he flog it? The local cex seems a non starter.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Hello, I bought a Woosh bike last week and it is great. However, one issue I am dealing with is the battery lock. With the lock on it stays on the bike but easily lifts off the bike without the key. It doesn't matter what position the lock is in.
I had thought the lock secured it to the bike!
It is a retractable bolt rather than a deadlock bolt. The latch hole is fairly shallow and has a sloping side which is enough to push the retractable bolt back. A gentle tug pulls the battery out. I can't see any damage to the lock. Is this normal? Do people take the lock with them when locking the bike up?
Thanks
I have a Woosh Rio FB and have no problems with the 17ah battery lock. The only thing I've experienced is that the battery has to be firmly pushed into the holder as the lock won't be effective.

Advertisers