Battery question for bbshd and chainring question

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
so I’ve been looking at 48v 20ah batteries for my bbshd and have now come across 52v 30ah ones
First question will I fry my kit by putting 52v through it? I’ve got the colour display if that makes any difference

I’m looking more for distance rather than top end speed and happy to put in leg effort I just need a bit of a boost with the hills around here

It looks like I may need to buy a bling ring what tooth ring would you guys/gals recommend if the bike can get to 20 mph I’m more than happy at that speed but 15mph will do me fine
May do a bit of off road occasionally but speed isn’t a priority, getting up hills with out my lungs exploding is
Thanks
Paul

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No, the 52v battery came about because of the BBSHD. A 48v battery is 54.6 hot off the charger and a 14S 52v is 58.8, the capacitor in the BBSHD controller can handle 63v.

http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Plug in some chainring sizes your tyre size etc. Your motor cadence (loaded) is 100/116 - battery nominative/hot off the charger, it will be 116 with a 52v battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

so I’ve been looking at 48v 20ah batteries for my bbshd and have now come across 52v 30ah ones
First question will I fry my kit by putting 52v through it? I’ve got the colour display if that makes any difference

I’m looking more for distance rather than top end speed and happy to put in leg effort I just need a bit of a boost with the hills around here

It looks like I may need to buy a bling ring what tooth ring would you guys/gals recommend if the bike can get to 20 mph I’m more than happy at that speed but 15mph will do me fine
May do a bit of off road occasionally but speed isn’t a priority, getting up hills with out my lungs exploding is
Thanks
Paul
Have you got room in your triangle for a 30Ah battery?

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
The 42t bling ring just clears the motor casing, any smaller than that and
you will not get the 20mm offset on the chainring.

bike7.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

A battery that big on a rack would be terrible! Em3ev have some nice triangle batteries and bags to put them in, or you can find cheaper triangle batteries on Aliexpress.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I’ve looked and looked and looked again I think a triangle battery won’t fit in my triangle, a battery like daveboy might just squeeze in there, depending on the taper. My other option is a rear rack which may affect the ride as it would I imagine be similar to having a small child in a baby seat behind me or my other option would be to mount on top of the top tube
What are your thoughts guys ?24533F97-46A4-448E-88EE-073870A663BA.jpeg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I’ve looked and looked and looked again I think a triangle battery won’t fit in my triangle, a battery like daveboy might just squeeze in there, depending on the taper. My other option is a rear rack which may affect the ride as it would I imagine be similar to having a small child in a baby seat behind me or my other option would be to mount on top of the top tube
What are your thoughts guys ?View attachment 24360
That is a huge triangle!

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Hi Paul, Before I ordered mine I made a cardboard template using
the dimensions off the website. In the end it fitted easy.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think it is for lights IIRC. Test what voltage is available on the connecter.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hey Paul, got your kit I see, nice one:D Green connector is on the main harness that plugs into the left connector in your hand and is for the LCD display. Second is gear sensor, cap it off if you don't have one. Yeah, like AK says third is lights, but don't try using it for anything high powered, IIRC it is only 500mA output. It's all plug and play really, worst part is routing wiring neat and losing excess cable which takes 10x longer than fitting the drive. How you doing with the spacers and battery search?

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
Hey Paul, got your kit I see, nice one:D Green connector is on the main harness that plugs into the left connector in your hand and is for the LCD display. Second is gear sensor, cap it off if you don't have one. Yeah, like AK says third is lights, but don't try using it for anything high powered, IIRC it is only 500mA output. It's all plug and play really, worst part is routing wiring neat and losing excess cable which takes 10x longer than fitting the drive. How you doing with the spacers and battery search?
Hi Pete ordered a battery today, text my brother a few days ago to see if he could recommend somewhere to get spacers he turned up at my house yesterday took measurements and dropped spacers off today ( didn’t even know he was back in uk) just need SWMBO to go on a shopping trip now so that I can start assembly(yes darling I picked this up from eBay for £50, bloody bargain)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
hi
found a little waterproof saddle bag from decathlon only 3.99 leave zipped up but cut under side hide connectors and excess cable inside then it Velcro's to the top tube hide many sins