Battery question for bbshd and chainring question

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
My project has taken a back seat for a few months SWMBO wanted a new patio but trying in my few spare hours to do a few things on my bike
Managed to get a bling ring but the chain alignment is still not very good so looking at the Luna Eclipse, any UK stockist ?
Think I’ll also have to customise my cassette as Pete has mentioned using 3/4 gears

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Its a horrible thought but if you only have a 1mm gap between the chainwheel and the frame, that's the min you can get away with :( if its more than that try to remove spacers or the angle grinder may be required :eek: the only alternative its remove cogs off the rear wheel and spacers
Some frames just will not work have had to sell my cube hyde as bbs just would not fit:mad:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hey Paul, glad to see you've not given up or resorted to large hitting implement :mad: Post up a pic of your drive as you have it now with bling ring, showing chain stay clearance, and we can see what else you can do. Last time I looked, Luna were only selling the Eclipse if you bought your HD from them.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
OK daniel, that's good to know. Just saw that written on the ad. Maybe left there from early days of Luna when Eric first developed it to boost his sales of BBSHD. From what I've read, I think he bought quite a few.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I think the Luna will bring it in a few more MM but I’ll still be struggling with the gears, (it is a 42 tooth bling copy )
Do I maybe customise my cassette with 2 large cogs on the outside for the time being just to be able to use the bike and look for a new / second hand frame that will take a 100 MM bbshd ?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
That's a typical cube frame with the small chainwheel and tight angles :( is the motor actually touching frame? the luna eclipse ring will move the line in but I suspect it will hit the frame you could try a top mount chain guide

100mm bbshd is ideal for a fat bike build;)

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
That's a typical cube frame with the small chainwheel and tight angles :( is the motor actually touching frame? the luna eclipse ring will move the line in but I suspect it will hit the frame you could try a top mount chain guide

100mm bbshd is ideal for a fat bike build;)
Just realised the photo is angled a bit, I’ve got about 1or 2mm clearance from motor and frame

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Try a smaller spacer or remove it completely if you can so the motor just touches the frame every little helps
Try an old chain this will have just that bit extra bit of give several small adjustments might be all you need

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Looking at that, I think the Luna ring will hit the frame. Only just though. You could probably adjust the frame very slightly with the old 4lb precision adjustment tool.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I would stick with the Bling Ring, as others have said, the teeth on the Eclipse are crazy long and will prob. hit the chainstay. You could also gain a mm or 2 by very carefully profiling the gear casing to the chain stay where they touch.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I would stick with the Bling Ring, as others have said, the teeth on the Eclipse are crazy long and will prob. hit the chainstay. You could also gain a mm or 2 by very carefully profiling the gear casing to the chain stay where they touch.
Could I maybe but a dent in the chain stay where the motor housing touches and where the bling ring would touch ? Without altering or moving the rest of the chainstay (if that makes sense)
Sort of crushing the chainstay in those two positions, I work for the fireservice and was thinking the jaws of life tool which they use to cut car door pillars to get the roof off, they have smaller ones for other jobs, as long as it didn’t alter the chainstay angle.
Or my other alternative is to find a suitable frame, and I’ve looked at soooo many I even emailed Giant to see if they sold frame only fs mtb, but they don’t and custom frames are out of my price range

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Although not ideal, some "adjustment" to the frame could be done, but I'm not sure your choice of tool is right for the job. I would want to make any denting of the chainstay on the outside only, leaving the inner face undamaged, so retaining it's strength in rounded profile. I may have this wrong, as I'm not familiar with a jaws of life tool, But as I understand them, they are a bladed cutting tool, which will crush both sides of the tube, thus creating a possible weak spot. Something like a ball peen or machinist's hammer would be my tool of choice.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
Ok guys I’m now thinking, another frame. This cube is not going to be ideal and might be better off either selling it or use it for parts on another frame.So I’ve been looking at FS mtb frames the one that’s caught my eye is an orange patriot as the chainstay/swinging arm is situated further up and looks like the motor would fit
Think I’d have to mount battery on top tube as a motorbike fuel tank type but would like to see a frame/bike before I take the plunge what are your thought guys ? I fancy the FS for the comfort factor. Wonder if anyone has done this?

Attachments

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
I did a Felt Compulsion 2 (2009) recently with no clearance issues. It's a good frame if you can find one. Plenty of space in the triangle for a battery if you can find a Large. My Medium wouldn't take a dolphin or shark but I could have mounted it under the down tube. In the end I built my own triangle battery.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I did a Felt Compulsion 2 (2009) recently with no clearance issues. It's a good frame if you can find one. Plenty of space in the triangle for a battery if you can find a Large. My Medium wouldn't take a dolphin or shark but I could have mounted it under the down tube. In the end I built my own triangle battery.
I’d have to go medium frame, can you put some photos up? Think I’ll post in the speed pedalec section to see