Battery Retaining lock for Giant ebike

EByker

Just Joined
Dec 15, 2017
Spennymoor
Hi
A few years ago I purchased a secondhand Giant 'Lafree Twist' electric bike (2002 model), which I have been generally happy with. Unfortunately, during the summer I managed to loose the key to the lock that retains the battery in position, making it impossible to re-charge it, as re-charging has to be carried out with the battery off the bike. After trying to obtain a replacement key from numerous Giant dealers, locksmiths, on-line key suppliers and directly with Giant without success, I reluctantly decided to hacksaw through the lock mortise to remove the battery and reveal the screws holding the lock in place, assuming that I would be able to obtain a replacement. However, for some reason Giant are unable to either source a replacement part or even tell me the name of the original part manufacturer so that I could obtain one direct from the OEM. So in desperation I am wondering if anyone on this forum has ever had need to replace the battery retaining lock on a Giant Lafree Twist bike? And if so, do you know the name of the manufacturer of this part. I have attached photos of the lock in position on the bike and after removal to assist with identification.
Thanks.

Attachments

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
take it to a proper locksmith..Not Timpsons on the High St...They may be able to re-barrel the lock to another key...I had some panniers done on a motorcycle a couple fo years back and saved buying new panniers

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Ebyker, I have the exact same problem, did you find a solution yet?
He won’t answer
He was last on here 45 weeks ago with this message only
He is definitely one of our very valued members
:)

Reactions: stumpy150

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
take it to a proper locksmith..Not Timpsons on the High St...They may be able to re-barrel the lock to another key...I had some panniers done on a motorcycle a couple fo years back and saved buying new panniers
Good advice
Timpsons are rubbish well at least my local one is
They should be described as more of a bunch of animals than a lock smith/watch repair business
Actually no that’s unfair on animals

Reactions: stumpy150