battery reversed polarity

electriclee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2017
scotland
Morning All. Yesterday I was trying to fit a mid drive kits with 36V 16a Battery from Pandaebikes which I bought just before X'Mas. After the battery was fully charged I checked the voltage. With red to+ and black to- which read -41.7. I had Email Pandaebike will it be safe to connect the reversed polarity to the motor unit. They ask for the photo of voltage reading showing polarity I am measuring. Photo sent, waiting for them to come back.
With knowledge peoples in here. I wonder is it safe to connect a reversed polarity battery to the motor unit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't connect it up, you will cause damage to the battery or controller by means of shorting.
The batteries polarity needs to be correct.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Measure the voltage of an AA battery for example to be quite certain that your red probe goes to + and black probe to - and the reading is correct first.

D

Deleted member 4366

Reverse polarity doesn't mean much, so let's be clear.: It's imperative that you connect the battery positive to the controller's positive (normally red), and negative to negative. If you connect negative to positive, the controller will immediately pop and be killed.

What are you trying to connect the battery to and what type of battery is it?

Are your probes connected to the meter the right way round?

electriclee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2017
scotland
Reverse polarity doesn't mean much, so let's be clear.: It's imperative that you connect the battery positive to the controller's positive (normally red), and negative to negative. If you connect negative to positive, the controller will immediately pop and be killed.

What are you trying to connect the battery to and what type of battery is it?

Are your probes connected to the meter the right way round?
Stupid me. Probes wrong way round from multimeter. Will connect red to red , black to black battery to controller/motor unit.
Thanks d8veh