Battery woo

electriclee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2017
scotland
Hi, Everyone, looking for advice. Fitted a Panda mid drive kit with a 16a battery. Done 120 miles. Charged battery 5 times in between, every time when battery was half empty, which read 46.7v, when battery fully charged it read 41.9v. Last night was using the bike. The whole system shut down, nothing on the LCD, the battery power button still in "power on" position but without illuminate. I suspected something was broken or loose contact within the battery. Got home checked the battery, it read 36.8v. Fully charged it read 41.9v charger read 42v. Put bike on bike stand and worked throttle. Motor run as usual. I try to shake and knock the battery about but motor still run. I e-mail Panda bike for permission to open the battery to check for loose connection and cells reading. Still waiting for reply. Anyone have any idea or advice?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is this a 36v nominal battery pack.. if so there is an error in your description. A fully charged unit should be at 41.9 or42.0 and fully discharged perhaps 33

D

Deleted member 4366

Good luck with Panda. They'll be busy with their Swytch kits for the next few months, so comms seem to be a bit sparse at the moment.

Ideally, you need to carry a voltmeter to test the voltage on the battery terminals when it shuts down to conform that the problem is inside the battery or outside. If your blue light on the "on" button lights up when you have power, was off when you didn't, and has now come back on again with the power, then it seems pretty sure that the problem is inside the battery, but it's always best to check.

electriclee

Jun 1, 2017
scotland
Good luck with Panda. They'll be busy with their Swytch kits for the next few months, so comms seem to be a bit sparse at the moment.

Ideally, you need to carry a voltmeter to test the voltage on the battery terminals when it shuts down to conform that the problem is inside the battery or outside. If your blue light on the "on" button lights up when you have power, was off when you didn't, and has now come back on again with the power, then it seems pretty sure that the problem is inside the battery, but it's always best to check.
Yes, but I didn't have a meter with me and it was late at night.
I cannot get the problem to reoccur when the bike was on bike stand.
d8veh can you tell me how to check the BMS if I decided to open up the battery and void the warranty.

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's working, you won't find anything by checking the BMS. Intermittent faults are very difficult to find because you can only track them down when the fault is present.

electriclee

Jun 1, 2017
scotland
If it's working, you won't find anything by checking the BMS. Intermittent faults are very difficult to find because you can only track them down when the fault is present.
Thanks v8veh. Still waiting for Panda to reply, after they asked for the battery reading, which I gave them yesterday.

Advertisers