BBS 1 Cutting out, any ideas?

Bablefish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2017
Falkirk
Hi,

I have a BBS1 that has a problem.

When I start off, until I reach about 10-12 MPH, the motor keeps cutting out.
Watching the display, I can see the motor drawing watts, then it drops to zero then back up.
This keeps happening until the speed goes over about 12 mph then it settles down and is fine.

It does not appear to be linked to the amount of power being supplied, its appears purely linked to speed.

Anyone have any idea as to a fix for this?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
First thing I would check, is that the speed sensor magnet it as close to the receiver as possible, but without touching.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Usually an error code will be thrown up on the lcd.
If any slight fault reading with the speed sensor then 21 would show.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not an issue I have come across, but why it only happens at lower speed ? I can only think of a pas issue or a controller fault. Most other faults are covered by error codes barring brake sensors.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Although these things always involve logical detective work to find a solution, the reason why I mentioned the speed sensor, was that I had something similar happen when I first built my BBS02.

I had no error codes, but a slight erratic behavior at speed. I think that the sensor wasn't clocking up a consistent signal, as the magnet went faster past the receiver.

An adjustment of the magnet, resumed normal operation.

Bablefish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2017
Falkirk
I have managed to narrow the issue down a little.

Its not the speed sensor as it seems to be working fine.

What I have noticed is that the problem seems to be related to the speed of the BBS motor.

their seems to be certain RPM the make the motor cut out.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have managed to narrow the issue down a little.

Its not the speed sensor as it seems to be working fine.

What I have noticed is that the problem seems to be related to the speed of the BBS motor.

their seems to be certain RPM the make the motor cut out.
Might be worth buying a programming cable and tweaking the controller settings a bit. The 'Keep Current' parameter set too low, may be one of the reasons for the lack of assistance at higher motor rpm.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What cadence do you spin the pedals at?

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd have a look at the controller, some of them have very bad phase-wire connections. The controller is only held on with three screws, but you have to take the chain-wheel off first to get at it. I had problems with a BBSHD. The connectors were so bad that you could blow on them to disconnect them. It had Anderson Powerpole connectors. I've also seen bullet and spade connectors on different versions of the same controller. They can all be equally problematic (loose) if not assembled carefully.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I'd have a look at the controller, some of them have very bad phase-wire connections. The controller is only held on with three screws, but you have to take the chain-wheel off first to get at it. I had problems with a BBSHD. The connectors were so bad that you could blow on them to disconnect them. It had Anderson Powerpole connectors. I've also seen bullet and spade connectors on different versions of the same controller. They can all be equally problematic (loose) if not assembled carefully.
^ very true,
my last one had the phase cables secure enough, they were spades, but that white multi-plug that goes through the casing wasn't pushed in

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I have had the same problem with 3 diffrent motors.I changed them controller and motor is okey.i suspect its because I dont use the gear enough and that makes it hard on the controller

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi,

I have a BBS1 that has a problem.

When I start off, until I reach about 10-12 MPH, the motor keeps cutting out.
Watching the display, I can see the motor drawing watts, then it drops to zero then back up.
This keeps happening until the speed goes over about 12 mph then it settles down and is fine.

It does not appear to be linked to the amount of power being supplied, its appears purely linked to speed.

Anyone have any idea as to a fix for this?
Ive got the exact same prob with my bbs01.As soon as its warmed up its fine..But those first few low speed yards aaaaargh especially if its up slope too.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Try dropping down a couple of gears and let me know if the problem is still there.
Tried that a while back with a little sucess at first.But then got worse.Fordulike has solved it.Disconnect the throttle cable cures it .Now im waiting for him to suggest a full fix.Maybe a new cable under the warrenty.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Will do ,eclipse bikes seem to be ignoring my email so far ,despite their obligation under warrenty.Hope theyre not going to be awkward .
You may have to wait a little while and fire off a few e-mails with Eclipse.

We've had the discussion on this forum before, about how slow they can be at replying. We sort of gathered that they might only be a one or two person company. Doesn't make it acceptable of course, just that they will probably reply eventually.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You may have to wait a little while and fire off a few e-mails with Eclipse.

We've had the discussion on this forum before, about how slow they can be at replying. We sort of gathered that they might only be a one or two person company. Doesn't make it acceptable of course, just that they will probably reply eventually.
Just had a reply promising a replacements on its way.

Reactions: Fordulike