BBS error codes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had to cut short todays ride after 20 miles with what looks like my 2nd controller failure. Following 3 intermittent power issues over a mile or so error 8 appeared, which is hall sensor abnormality. What needs to be cyphered is whether it is an actual hall failure or a wiring fault. I've had a look on the web but little info except for a few threads on ES. It appears there may be a few reasons/options ;
  1. A new controller.
  2. Loose/poor wire connector issue.
  3. Chaffed wiring.
  4. A failed Hall.
Now need to remove BBS to have a proper look inside and see if it is a simple fix or not, otherwise need to get another controller and a replacement speed sensor as I found that had been broken off before I started my ride.
GBK is the only store that I can find both in so looks like they will get my order at some stage.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having had another browse the fault appears to be not too common as I mentioned a few on ES have asked/posed the question but no definitive replies can be found except to check controller connector.
Any Hall sensor is likely to be in the motor winding area where any magnet sensing is out, so has anyone completely stripped a motor or can it be done to access the halls.
Removing the controller section and checking for wire damage or poor connector is the simple part. I don't see that a chaffed or trapped wire is the issue as the new controller has been in place a while and has covered 650 odd miles since replacement, being used for off road does create a few other issue such as severe vibration from the rough undulating terrain so possible for a connector or wire to come loose or a Hall sensor to come a drift but unsure how these are held in place .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
have you tested the Hall sensors?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Might be just the new controller white connector, has backed out of the socket a little.

I noticed when I replaced mine that it was covered in sealant, which was a pain to totally remove. If any sealant was left in the motor unit connector when you replaced the controller, then it may not have a snug fit.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
have you tested the Hall sensors?
To answer that no is the answer Woosh, I woud need some guidance on how to go about doing that on the bbs if you are offering some wise words of wisdom :).

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Might be just the new controller white connector, has backed out of the socket a little.

I noticed when I replaced mine that it was covered in sealant, which was a pain to totally remove. If any sealant was left in the motor unit connector when you replaced the controller, then it may not have a snug fit.
Yep that was in my mind and wondered if vibration had caused a poor /bad contact yesterday.
This morning I went to remove the bbs unit complete so I can look in to it in comfort but before doing so I connected a battery up and it worked, throttle and pas both worked as I went throught the assist levelso_O. I have the unit ready now off the bike to open up and have a look inside, from this mornings surprise of it working again the controller appears to ok and working so will carefully look at the wiring as I remove the controller. Thinking back to yesterday the fault started to occur after I rode up a fairly steep rutty gully section after crossing the M25, the 08 error appeared on and off 4 or 5 times before I lost all power to throttle and pas so a bad connection seems a likely candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordulike
D

Deleted member 4366

I had that problem on a BBSHD. It was the multi-pin connector between the controller and the motor not making proper contact. The multi-pin connector is for the sensors. Three screws to remove the controller, which leaves it hanging by the wires. It was quite easy to fix except there was white silicone all over the connector, which was stopping it from going together properly, so I had to scrape it all off.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I saw what you posted on ES D8veh, so hoping that is where the fault lies.

Advertisers