Bbs01 or 2

Guzzimag

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hello all. I'm about to build my first ebike. The donor bike will be either a 700c trekking bike or my 29er mtb. It's going to be doing a 38 mile round trip commute which I currently cycle 3 days a week. Couple of properly big hills and 13 miles of canal towpath. I'm reasonably fit and want to exercise. My pedalling cadence is about 90rpm. I'm thinking of a bafang bbs01 250/350 36v. My only previous ebike experience is on a kalkhoff 250w bosch motored bike which was great, still plenty of leg input but flying up them hills! Or do I go to the darkside and make a 750w illegal thrill machine? I don't feel the need to do 35mph as the towpath can be busy and there are narrow sections where I fear a big motor might get be in bother (splash). Any input from people with experience of these kits welcome thank you

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Go for the BBS01, if you need to do 38 miles. A BBS02 will need a big arsed battery if you want to do those kind of miles.

I would recommend fitting some puncture resistant tyres though. Something like Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hello all. I'm about to build my first ebike. The donor bike will be either a 700c trekking bike or my 29er mtb. It's going to be doing a 38 mile round trip commute which I currently cycle 3 days a week. Couple of properly big hills and 13 miles of canal towpath. I'm reasonably fit and want to exercise. My pedalling cadence is about 90rpm. I'm thinking of a bafang bbs01 250/350 36v. My only previous ebike experience is on a kalkhoff 250w bosch motored bike which was great, still plenty of leg input but flying up them hills! Or do I go to the darkside and make a 750w illegal thrill machine? I don't feel the need to do 35mph as the towpath can be busy and there are narrow sections where I fear a big motor might get be in bother (splash). Any input from people with experience of these kits welcome thank you
You could swap out the controller for a 48v one and use a 48v battery. I say this because like me you have a high cadence and at 36v I have issues with back EMF. My motor is a BBS01 clone and has the same rated cadence. I now use 44.4v (12S) and the cadence is about right, I just need a controller that can evacuate the heat at assistance level 5 (680-700W).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The two drives are very different, Bosch is torque drive unit so multiplies the effort you make. Whilst the BBS is cadence with throttle if required, BBS will need some tweaking with a programming cable otherwise stock settings are very conservative and will make inclines harder then the Bosch drive.

Guzzimag

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2018
West Yorkshire
And yes that bosch drive was amazing, I was in mallorca hammering up mountain passes, whizzing past the carbon and lycra boys on my shopping bike complete with basket, mwah ha haaaa

• :D
Reactions: grazie