Bbs01 power cutting in out at startup

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Drop them a line. They can be a little slow on replies, but the company may only have one or two peeps running it. The programming issue is unlikely as you say, but it's worth it at some stage in acquiring a programming cable, just to tweak the BBSxx just the way you like it. You'll be surprised how a few parameter changes can turn it into a hill eating monster!
Have emailed them,jus hav wait n see.Thanks alot mate for solving my prob.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Probably the throttle itself,
i have two throttles on two different BBS bikes - the first is silky smooth, the second needs a quarter of a turn before it kicks in, and jerky at that.
I`d try another throttle, they`re cheap enough.
Also in the Throttle programming there`s a voltage range that sometimes you have to change, is it 3.5v to 4.1v or something?
Im amazed at how problematic im reading ,these throttles are. Id imagine they will not be surprised an send a replacement ,as its under warrenty.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Im amazed at how problematic im reading ,these throttles are. Id imagine they will not be surprised an send a replacement ,as its under warrenty.
At the end of the day, most electric bike stuff is manufactured in China, which doesn't have the same quality controls as Europe, although they are getting better.

I personally don't run my BBS02 with a throttle, as I have reprogrammed the controller to match my gears and riding style with the PAS.

The programming out of the box isn't one size fits all, and can make the bike so much better with some tweaking.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
I had the same problem develop on my BBS02 after 2k+ miles...when I stripped the motor, the PAS magnetic ring on the back of the freewheel had fractured into three pieces...a few blobs of Araldite later and all's well again...might be worth dropping the crank out to check...IMHO of course!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
At the end of the day, most electric bike stuff is manufactured in China, which doesn't have the same quality controls as Europe, although they are getting better.

I personally don't run my BBS02 with a throttle, as I have reprogrammed the controller to match my gears and riding style with the PAS.

The programming out of the box isn't one size fits all, and can make the bike so much better with some tweaking.
What sort of tweaks are valuable furdulike.Ive read so many threads on what to change it makes my head spin.I thought the kit performed well out of the box.But then i read its factory set to this 'keep current' 60 % and some say 20% .But people say it will climb hills much better set at 100%.If this is safe why on earth dont bafang do this at the factory and make their product more impressive.Seems a no brainer.Will changing this require other setting changes ,or is it ok on its own? The other thing that concerned me was reading. Its apparently set to give full current /power on start up from stationary in PAS ,which is hard on the motor and should be reduced? Ive started to wonder if i should get a cable now and have a go.My motors the 350w 18 amp bbs01B.Speed limit derestricted.Replaced chainring with 42t narrow wide (maybe should have gone for a 38 but im mainly on roads and paths) and a sunrace megagear.Always use low gears properly from standstill and hills.To make sure the moror alyays spins fast. Would hate to mess settings up an burn out the controller.The motor only gets lightly warm after long hill climbs.These seem easy enough to me,but afrer reading 100 % keep current makes even better id like to find out. Id appreciate any advice,if u can manage to get throught this long post ,thanks Rad

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I had the same problem develop on my BBS02 after 2k+ miles...when I stripped the motor, the PAS magnetic ring on the back of the freewheel had fractured into three pieces...a few blobs of Araldite later and all's well again...might be worth dropping the crank out to check...IMHO of course!
Ill take a look but ive only done cpl hundred miles odd.Theprob resolved after disconnecting the throttle as fordulike suggested.Thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If this is safe why on earth dont bafang do this at the factory and make their product more impressive.
China is pretty flat, these are probably the settings that work there. Some of the better sellers reprogram the motor with optimum settings - em3ev.com for example.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
What sort of tweaks are valuable furdulike.Ive read so many threads on what to change it makes my head spin.I thought the kit performed well out of the box.But then i read its factory set to this 'keep current' 60 % and some say 20% .But people say it will climb hills much better set at 100%.If this is safe why on earth dont bafang do this at the factory and make their product more impressive.Seems a no brainer.Will changing this require other setting changes ,or is it ok on its own? The other thing that concerned me was reading. Its apparently set to give full current /power on start up from stationary in PAS ,which is hard on the motor and should be reduced? Ive started to wonder if i should get a cable now and have a go.My motors the 350w 18 amp bbs01B.Speed limit derestricted.Replaced chainring with 42t narrow wide (maybe should have gone for a 38 but im mainly on roads and paths) and a sunrace megagear.Always use low gears properly from standstill and hills.To make sure the moror alyays spins fast. Would hate to mess settings up an burn out the controller.The motor only gets lightly warm after long hill climbs.These seem easy enough to me,but afrer reading 100 % keep current makes even better id like to find out. Id appreciate any advice,if u can manage to get throught this long post ,thanks Rad
After researching loads about the programming, I think Bafang have included the 'Keep Current' as a energy saving feature. Basically, the controller will provide the motor with as much current as it needs until it gets up to speed, then drops the current level according to the percentage set in the 'Keep Current' box.

This works great on a level surface, but unfortunately, it also drops the current when climbing hills, which is where you actually require more current. Also, the motor will labour if not fed enough current, which can actually cause the controller to get hotter.

Setting the 'Keep Current' to 100% will give the motor all the current it requires when it needs it.

As for the start current, you can set this nice and low, say 10%, to allow for a smooth PAS start up and help protect your drive-train from too much torque.
I have mine at 50%, but I like the quick get away it provides.

Programming the BBSxx is all about trial and error, but it allows you to make subtle adjustments for the best riding experience.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: minexplorer

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
After researching loads about the programming, I think Bafang have included the 'Keep Current' as a energy saving feature. Basically, the controller will provide the motor with as much current as it needs until it gets up to speed, then drops the current level according to the percentage set in the 'Keep Current' box.

This works great on a level surface, but unfortunately, it also drops the current when climbing hills, which is where you actually require more current. Also, the motor will labour if not fed enough current, which can actually cause the controller to get hotter.

Setting the 'Keep Current' to 100% will give the motor all the current it requires when it needs it.

As for the start current, you can set this nice and low, say 10%, to allow for a smooth PAS start up and help protect your drive-train from too much torque.
I have mine at 50%, but I like the quick get away it provides.

Programming the BBSxx is all about trial and error, but it allows you to make subtle adjustments for the best riding experience.
Thanks,a simple explanation of those settings,so much more usefull.Def will get a cable now. Do u know a cheapie by any chance.

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
Just been out on my bike with the throttle disconnected, no motor cut-outs, no hesitation after pulling away from a standing start. Thanks for the hint Fordulike. I never use it much anyway, I may never replace it!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Just been out on my bike with the throttle disconnected, no motor cut-outs, no hesitation after pulling away from a standing start. Thanks for the hint Fordulike. I never use it much anyway, I may never replace it!
Everythings fine with mine too after fitting the replacement throttle.Well diagnosed fordulike.