BBS01b 250w15amp or 350w 18amp

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi I'm looking at building my next mid drive 29er and would like to know the difference between the 250 and 350w motor apart from the obvious. I've noticed the motors are advertised as bbs01b 250w 13T and the other is bbs01b 350w 13T.. Can I assume the motors are identical and the controllers are different..obviously one is UK legal and the other not..but I'm looking at building for off road but don't want to have power I would rarely use..and also want to keep the weight down..

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
but I'm looking at building for off road but don't want to have power I would rarely use.
If you're doing proper off road, then more power is good for pushing through mud and forest trails covered in debris.

Gearing and a properly programmed controller is essential too.

Last edited:

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
If you're doing proper off road, then more power is good for pushing through mud and forest trails covered in debris.
Yes I could go with the 500w 36v version but I don't want 2 hundred weight of battery to power it. And really I don't go mad off road that often..
More importantly I would still like to know the real difference in these motors.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi I'm looking at building my next mid drive 29er and would like to know the difference between the 250 and 350w motor apart from the obvious. I've noticed the motors are advertised as bbs01b 250w 13T and the other is bbs01b 350w 13T.. Can I assume the motors are identical and the controllers are different..obviously one is UK legal and the other not..but I'm looking at building for off road but don't want to have power I would rarely use..and also want to keep the weight down..
it is usually the same unit programmed with higher max current.

For road use, I suggest the legal one, even the 15A controller is pretty decent on pulling power.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/category/uid-4/cd-conversion-kits

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
The new one is mental off road faster and extra torq waiting on a 20 amp hailong 2 its the same case :):eek:
Hi Pete sounds like your having fun with the new setup then lol yer it's a bit of compromise with batteries..go too big and they are bloody heavy..just about getting the balance correct for what your doing with it..I've managed to get a 29er Marin used ..needs a bit of work but only £40.00 so bring on the next build lol

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
350 is faster on acceleration and enables one gear higher on hills it sitting on the work bench now along with an unused fitting kit and 961 display cannot decide if it goes in the belt drive cube or to sell it

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
clear the kitchen table and get started then :p:D should be done in a couple of hours you might just make last orders if your lucky

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
clear the kitchen table and get started then :p:D should be done in a couple of hours you might just make last orders if your lucky
I've not been out on the bike for about a week..too bloody busy..trying to keep her in doors happy with garden work lol..time to sell some more bits to enable the next build..yer I might be interested in that 350 if you don't use it..but I think it would make a nice machine matched to a belt drive..+ it's only 350 so not to hungry. Means you can use a fairly light battery..

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
yes will keep the 250watt in the charge frame might try the alfine 11 for road use I like the mudguards etc, have got front and rear racks to fit

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
yes will keep the 250watt in the charge frame might try the alfine 11 for road use I like the mudguards etc, have got front and rear racks to fit
DON'T!!! The Alfine 11 is not a good choice of IGH for a pedelec, even 250W, it can't handle the torque. Do a Google search and you will find many cases of broken gearboxes. I was looking at that hub as a cheaper alternative to the Rohloff at one time. It also has even more drive train losses than the 8 speed!

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
I already run the alfine 8 with 250watt conversion and have had not even one missed a change in over 6 months of e bike use. I treat it like any other bike pull the rear brake gently before I change gears to cut the motor power almost like a clutch. I have adjusted the start down to one and always use a spring loaded alfine chain tensioner . The alfine 11 has a poor reputation because the early batch used to break the claws in the hub due to gear changes under full human power with the magic two yellow line's not lined up , set up and oil changes are crucial like with a derailleur, set up is key the 11 has sat in the rear of multiple bikes and in one case lasted longer than the bottom bracket
bearings