BBS02 battery options

Skiver

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2018
Apologies for what must be a very common topic. I'm a keen cyclist but an electric bike newbie, and I've been reading these forums for a while now and I had hoped to be able to glean the information I needed from other threads but if anything I have more questions than I did before.

I have recently purchased a BBS02b 48v 500w kit from Eclipse Bikes and would be grateful of any advice regarding batteries and bling rings.

I would ideally like to have a configuration that would enable me to do a 25 miles trip with approx 250 meters of elevation between charging, ideally at 20-25 mph + with as low a pedal assist as possible. The whole point of the motor will be to increase speed and not reduce the effort I'm putting in. I enjoy cycling and the the work out but I would like to just get there a little bit faster.

I'm mainly looking for advice on three points:
1) Will I need to reconfigure the controller from 18A to 25A (500W > 750W) to achieve the speeds I want?
2) Will the Hailong-3 48V 17.5AH battery from Eclipse get me anywhere close to the range I require and is it a good battery?
3) 42T or 46T Lekkie Bling ring?

Many thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1. More amps means more watts = decrease in battery range. 18a x 48v nominal = 864w output or approx. 690w at the wheel.
2. Speed kills range but 17.5a is more then enough dependant of cells used.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Apologies for what must be a very common topic. I'm a keen cyclist but an electric bike newbie, and I've been reading these forums for a while now and I had hoped to be able to glean the information I needed from other threads but if anything I have more questions than I did before.

I have recently purchased a BBS02b 48v 500w kit from Eclipse Bikes and would be grateful of any advice regarding batteries and bling rings.

I would ideally like to have a configuration that would enable me to do a 25 miles trip with approx 250 meters of elevation between charging, ideally at 20-25 mph + with as low a pedal assist as possible. The whole point of the motor will be to increase speed and not reduce the effort I'm putting in. I enjoy cycling and the the work out but I would like to just get there a little bit faster.

I'm mainly looking for advice on three points:
1) Will I need to reconfigure the controller from 18A to 25A (500W > 750W) to achieve the speeds I want?
2) Will the Hailong-3 48V 17.5AH battery from Eclipse get me anywhere close to the range I require and is it a good battery?
3) 42T or 46T Lekkie Bling ring?

Many thanks
1) No a 15 A 36v GSM is capable of those speeds, a BBS01 too I guess
2) What cells does it have? Any 10 A and above discharge brand name cell in that configuration will be fine
3) Wheel size? Cassette choice? I run a 42 with 28" wheels and it is a tad too small, a 44 would be better. With a 26" wheel the 46T would be the best choice.

I am going to go 1 x 10 on the trike (26" rear wheel) with the stock 46T chainwheel and a Sunrace 11-46 wide range cassette. If it works OK I'll grab a 46T bling ring to shave 300g off the front... :eek: