BBSHD measurements

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Thanks for that. Interesting.
At the end of the day, if I have to buy a different frame then it's no great loss. This frame is going to be a pain to mount any kind of sensible battery on anyway.
Would you guys always go with the 68-73mm BBSHD for a 68mm BB no matter what? Maybe I'm being stupid but I figured that you can make a longer BBSHD fit in a smaller BB but no matter how talented you are you can't make the BBSHD longer if it's too short for your BB.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
What size is your present chainring? HD usually comes with 46T as standard.

I ask as where i`ve put the arrow you may have a problem. Mine was very similar but i got round it easy enough by just spacing the Bafang chainring out a couple of cm with a few mm of spacer and a set of longer Allen bolts.
0T3gSYI.jpg

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Would you guys always go with the 68-73mm BBSHD for a 68mm BB no matter what?
No, if it's too short it's no good, but you will always have issues to overcome fitting a longer drive, especially chainline. FS bikes are prob. among the most difficult to convert. Have you considered a BBS02?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
FS and bad chainline = problems. Bad chainline is already a pain on a hard-tail! That is the bit you have to get right and a 100 mm BBSHD designed for a wide fatbike hub isn't going to help. Get another bike to convert and keep that one for when you need to ride unpowered.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Yeah, I think you're right. Any recommendations for a frame or complete bike I should be on the look out for? I'm not fussed about the quality of the components as I can always swap the good stuff from my current bike over (brakes, forks etc). Hardtail I guess.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
After searching around and measuring stuff I found myself a more suitable frame.

It's a 2009 Felt Compulsion 2 and as you can see, has loads of clearance. The pic with the ruler is flat against the BB.

Just needs a strip down and spray to get it looking pretty again. Plenty of space in the triangle for a battery too.

Paid £80 for it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd do a trial fit of the motor before going any further.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Yeah, will do. If it doesn't fit then there's little point in tidying it up.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Looks to be a more suitable frame. Check those pivot bearings too, otherwise you will have to remove the motor to change them.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
If everything lines up then I'm going to strip and replace all bearings with new. Will rebuild the shock while I'm at it too.