Bbsxx gear change sensor

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The gear change sensor that is available for newer bbsxx models

Does anyone know if it is compatible with gear hubs like an alfine 8 ?

Or just deraileurs ?

Cheers

The gear change sensor that is available for newer bbsxx models

Does anyone know if it is compatible with gear hubs like an alfine 8 ?

Or just deraileurs ?

Cheers
Yes. The new ones work with either whereas the old ones specified either igh or derailleur.
I've got one you can try if you want to test and see if you like it.. :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmmm! You shouldn't need one for a hub-motor. Do you have a problem with the motor running on after you stop pedalling? it might be better to get a new controller.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he may have a BBS kit running on his Alfine IGH.

I prefer to adjust (reduce) stop delay and stop decay or dab brake on the certain shifts and generally only when on higher assist levels. Shifting between 4th and 5th gear as it changes planets being the worse offender.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I prefer to adjust (reduce) stop delay and stop decay or dab brake on the certain shifts and generally only when on higher assist levels. Shifting between 4th and 5th gear as it changes planets being the worse offender.

I have never seen the need to fit gear sensors to CD bikes but some members on the forum constantly beat up the CD bikes on account of noisy gear change so I gave in, start fitting gear sensors to the new batch of my CD bikes.
To me, the risk of the gear sensor failing is much more than the occasional banging when you shift gear under load.

I have never seen the need to fit gear sensors to CD bikes but some members on the forum constantly beat up the CD bikes on account of noisy gear change so I gave in, start fitting gear sensors to the new batch of my CD bikes.
To me, the risk of the gear sensor failing is much more than the occasional banging when you shift gear under load.
Sure, can quite understand that.
Correct gear usage and practice helps a whole deal, bit it's fair to say that not everybody appreciates that!
The new BBSxx motors are coming through with built in cable for gear sensor connecting,but for my taste the delay is too long.
Perhaps more needed on large 1000W mid drives, but less so on the 250W I think.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for replies. I am building a 26 inch hardtail with an alfine 8 hub

It won't get electrified until much later in the year. But I just wondered if it was compatible

But the intention is to have a bbsxx and an alfine 8, yes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Kirsten you have lots of experience and I think gear sensors are meant for people who have never ridden a bike before and have come to cycling via pedelecs. I naturally, without even thinking about it, ease off on the pedals when changing gear and since the GSM was mounted last summer have crunched the gears twice(?) maybe even once, OK I don't even remember if I have...

D

Deleted member 4366

That's because you're a light guy. you need to see things from other people's perspective. As the total mass goes up, the forces and momentums go up too.

D

Deleted member 4366

Kirsten you have lots of experience and I think gear sensors are meant for people who have never ridden a bike before and have come to cycling via pedelecs. I naturally, without even thinking about it, ease off on the pedals when changing gear and since the GSM was mounted last summer have crunched the gears twice(?) maybe even once, OK I don't even remember if I have...
Same thing, as the motor's power goes up, so does the amount of crashing and damage done when you don't get it right. A BBS01 probably doesn't need one, but they're definitely worth fitting to a BBSHD. On all variants, it makes your riding more enjoyable with one less thing to worry about.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
No you don't need one,

have the exact same setup myself, BBS02 + Alfine8, just pause on the pedals, up/down a gear and away you go again.

What i did notice though with the Alfine 8 is to get your cable from shifter to where it enters the hub as straight as possible, any sharp bends delays the downshift.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I am totally getting that I don't need one.....but why not, I don't see any downside . It's 25 quid and might save a chain or two at the very least over time. May also save it prolong an alfine

But I really thought I had posted a yes/no answer

I love that we have such different views and discuss them

I am all about zero maintainece and less to worry about

On balance im inclined to.stick one on

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
How do these sensors fit - same as an in-line brake cut off ie just run the outer cable through it?
Or do they require a bare inner to be run through?

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
So why not just use an in-line brake sensor?
Would seem to do the job and connect up nicely to available socketry to. Also inexpensive.
Would it work?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So why not just use an in-line brake sensor?
brake sensor works only one way, when you squeeze the lever.
Gear sensor works both ways, when the inner cable moves.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Two in-line brake sensors (£20 a pair) - one facing one way (fitted on to the existing Bafang gear sensor on the BBSHD) one facing the other (taking up 1 brake sensor or use a y splitter at the handlebar end)?
If that works = simple, inexpensive, reliable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is a little pressure put on the innercable for movement detection. The sensor adds a tiny but still measurable 'slack' in the gear shift cable. If you think that half a millimeter out of true is all it takes to ruin your IGH, you don't want any slack in the line.

D

Deleted member 4366

Two in-line brake sensors (£20 a pair) - one facing one way (fitted on to the existing Bafang gear sensor on the BBSHD) one facing the other (taking up 1 brake sensor or use a y splitter at the handlebar end)?
If that works = simple, inexpensive, reliable.
It doesn't work. They'll both stay on, so you'll get no power after you attempt to change gear. With the brake, the cable goes in both directions to switch on then off, but the gear cable moves then stops.