beginner

john1234567

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2017
uk
Ok, many of these replies came 'after' I bought the kit so it isn't the case that I wasn't listening. I started this thread asking for advice in the first instance.

So after a bit of a wait for parts I've got the kit installed and it's pretty good. I'm just a bit disappointed with the hill climbing performance at the moment. I don't know if that is because it is restricted and not able to provide full power or if the limit is the ability of the motor as per cautions posted above.

I've found you can pretty much leave the bike in 21st gear and use the motor to blip you away from the line, as you get above 5 or so mph it is possible to pedal as normal.

Overall I'm pretty happy, I was able to overtake some professional cyclists going up one of the hills on the local trail on the test ride.

Does anyone know how possible it is to change the rear wheel for something better suited to hill climbing if I find in the end that it isn't good enough? The battery is 48v. Would I have to change the whole kit or could I just fit a more suitable rear wheel?

ebike.jpg

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does anyone know how possible it is to change the rear wheel for something better suited to hill climbing if I find in the end that it isn't good enough? The battery is 48v. Would I have to change the whole kit or could I just fit a more suitable rear wheel?
if your motor wheel has 9-pin connector, you can replace the rear DD wheel with a GSM CD motor without internal controller.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-149-gsmcdmotor/gsm-cd-motor-36v

it'll climb hills like a goat.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
48 V Woosh?

john1234567

Mar 7, 2017
uk
Naa, the motor is 2 or 3 pin. I looked into the connector when I was fitting it but I forget now. It senses speed so I'm inclined to say it is 3-pin rather than 2.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your best choice with 3-pin motor cable: Bafang BPM motor.

john1234567

Mar 7, 2017
uk
Ok, it turns out after de-restriction this thing is an absolute animal.

The long off-road hill section which it was struggling with on Monday was no problem today. The hill is at least a mile long and very draining unassisted on a normal pushbike. This is exactly why I bought the kit and it turns out to have worked well, despite initial reservations.

My advice to anyone reviewing options and in a similar situation to myself is that the 1000w 48v kit is awesome as long as you can use it de-restricted, both legally and technically the kit has to be capable of doing it. i.e. if there is no de-restriction option then go for the geared 250w options being recommended elsewhere.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should of got a big hub motor ;)

john1234567

Mar 7, 2017
uk
Was looking at the crank mounted kit you linked to above.

Doesn't that cause problems with gears and chains? Accelerated wear, skipping teeth, broken chains, ect.. ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Was looking at the crank mounted kit you linked to above.

Doesn't that cause problems with gears and chains? Accelerated wear, skipping teeth, broken chains, ect.. ?
broken chain: no. The chain breaks usually because it's too short, so don't be tempted to shorten the supplied chain if you experience skipping.
skipping teeth: not for a long time - 4,000-6,000 miles. The chain ring is made of steel, not alloy.
accelerated wear: mainly the freewheel or freehub on your bike. Watch out for the most used sprockets, they typically need replacing every 2,000 miles on average. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.