Benelli city link spory

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
http://www.benellibike.com/eng/city-link-sport.php

Hi guys I test rode one of these today in the wife's absence . I'm looking for a bike for her. She's just over 5 foot. Not an experienced cyclist. We have tried a few. I always tried the, too. Compared to my oxygen emtb they seemed like you were sitting on a slightly too high stack of cardboard boxes. Regardless of a throttle or any given power.

Now this little bike. Even with my 17 stone.(she's about 12.5) . Handled like my mountain bike. Very stable , solid, good balance. I was only on a road on the flat so it's difficult to tell how powerful the motor is. And if it's good on hills.

Anyone know this kit .front hub by the way.

Thanks Paul

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They say torque sensor in the front hub. Um that ain't gonna work...

My guess is a mxus.

D

Deleted member 4366

The photo isn't very clear, but the motor looks like a Q100 to me. I think they mean that the torque sensor controls the motor rather than is installed in it.

Installing a torque sensor in something like that is not a good idea IMHO. I think it's just a marketing ploy and would give no benefit to the user, and it probably makes a negative contribution to the riding experience for most people.

Hub-motors in small wheels can climb pretty well because they give 30% more torque than when in a 26" wheel. The tiny Q85 can manage a 15% hill without pedalling and with a 100kg rider on board when installed in a Brompton.

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
I've just got a new fold city benelli I got to take it out yesterday 20 mile round trip up and down hills , I'm 16 stone and it still had power left and I put a throttle on it for easy pull away from lights and crossing roads it's 36v and 10.4 ah battery great bike love it I'm disabled so can't pedal all the time and the bike looks great , all the best

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Nidan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2016
I've had a Benelli City link Sport for 18 months and it has no problems with the steep hills near where I live. I hadn't ridden a bike for at least 45 years before buying this so am not a fit, experienced cyclist.

I bought this bike because there is a dealer near me where i could try it out, I'm short and this was stable and comfortable to ride with confidence and the price seemed reasonable.

I know next to nothing about bikes but have found this to be an excellent buy and have had no problems with it.

Nidan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks guys.

And Nidan. What sort of distances have you done.? As its quite a small capacity battery
The most I've done is 15 miles with 2 or 3 of what I consider quite steep hills, and there was still 3 of the 5 bars showing. This was after I'd built up my stamina over a while and was using less assistance and more me. It was also in warm conditions which I imagine would improve battery efficiency. Possibly someone will put me right on this? I've also (once) ridden 10miles with all 5 bars still showing

I've just looked at my battery which is labeled 37V 8AH, however I've seen it advertised as being 6.6AH so make of that what you will!