Best bike for least peddling

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
At the sub 1500 quid mark under the new law of using a throttle only up to 6mph, which is the best bike for a lazy person to use like a moped?

Is there a way to ride on power only just using pedals?

Or is it still possible to use a throttle version bike if its an older model?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
The Wisper 905 (crossbar) or 705 (stepthrough) torque with a 375wh system are very good. They combine both torque and cadence operation and has a throttle to boot. £100 over your budget but a great bike for the money.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The Wisper 905 (crossbar) or 705 (stepthrough) torque with a 375wh system are very good. They combine both torque and cadence operation and has a throttle to boot. £100 over your budget but a great bike for the money.
Ill look at that, thanks.

BTW just saw a youtube video of a guy riding round a car park on an Oxygen emate without peddling.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Ill look at that, thanks.

BTW just saw a youtube video of a guy riding round a car park on an Oxygen emate without peddling.
Throttles on new bike are restricted. You might be able to pick up a used one with a pre January 1st, 2016 throttle. They are still legal to use.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
The least pedalling you will do would be on a Kalkhoff bike (or Beat Tonga or focus), as it will be broken down in no time, and then will be at the shop a long time waiting for some repairs to happen...;);)

• :D
Reactions: Artstu and Andy88
D

Deleted member 4366

You can ride a legal bike on the flat without pedalling, but not up a hill with your weight. These are not motorbikes. They're bicycles that help you up hills. Also, it's not advisable to start from stationary without pedalling either. You can do it, but it puts the maximum stress on the motor and battery.

There's some electric scooters that just about fall into the category of legal pedelecs. One of those might be better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-SCOOTER-MOPED-EAPC-LATEST-UPGRADED-MODEL-48V-250W-/201703431725?hash=item2ef6761e2d:g:mlIAAOSwxKtYB5H~

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
At the sub 1500 quid mark under the new law of using a throttle only up to 6mph, which is the best bike for a lazy person to use like a moped?

Is there a way to ride on power only just using pedals?

Or is it still possible to use a throttle version bike if its an older model?
the limited throttle goes to 4mph (6kms, not miles). It's a starting aid, you can't use it to ride the bike.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I watched an oxygen bike in a car park without the guy using pedals, was he ghosting the pedals or using thumb throttle?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If I buy a used bike prior to Jan 2016 is it legal to have a throttle for 15.5 mph?
the (full) throttle is neither defined as legal or illegal, You could say it's simply tolerated in the UK ever since e-bikes are sold here.
Your situation from the standpoint of a user is the same, regardless of the year of manufacturing. The DfT and the police won't prosecute.
From the 1/1/2016, manufacturers cannot plug in a throttle, but you can.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
the (full) throttle is neither defined as legal or illegal, You could say it's simply tolerated in the UK ever since e-bikes are sold here.
Your situation from the standpoint of a user is the same, regardless of the year of manufacturing. The DfT and the police won't prosecute.
From the 1/1/2016, manufacturers cannot plug in a throttle, but you can.
I guessed this, I read somewhere that not enforced till 2018, and how will it stand now uk leaving the eu?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they do but left unplugged.

Reactions: Andy88

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Does any woosh bikes have a throttle?
Seriously what's with the aversion to pedalling? e-bikes are the best of both worlds, a bit like a moped and bicycle combined if you use them as designed, and pedal it.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I will pedal, its been a few years, haha, I just like to have the option if I'm feeling lazy. Legs not too clever in 62

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk