Best electric bike under £1000

prestonpaul

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 31, 2014
Hello everyone,

My names Paul and I'm from Preston! (Sorry, getting ready to announce myself on Take Me Out!).

I am a rather unfit (and dare I say it overweight) 41 year old, have ridden on and off over the years but came across electric bikes through a friend at work. Been reading through the forum and I am a bit overwhelmed with the choice of bikes out there. As some of you may know, it can be quite hilly around these parts so I'm looking for a good bike that can help get me up them. At first, the bike will help me to get fit, but I will be looking to perhaps commute the 7 miles to work in a few months time.

So, what does £1000 get me? I might be able to stretch a little more but I was hoping to keep a bit of cash back for clothing and accessories.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.
Preston Paul.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

For under £1000 the best value for money bikes are Woosh, you can find them here http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?forum. If you can stretch that budget to £1200, I would recommend an eZee bike.

I have no connection with Woosh, but I do have a strong connection with eZee:)

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh Big Bear was deigned for people like you. it has the bigger Bafang BPM Hill-climber motor in it, and a 15aH battery to give high power for a bit longer. Others worth a\look are Ezee bikes and the Kudos Tornado. The Kudos looks a bit more sporty and modern.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Apologies if I shouldn't post this here...but as mentioned elsewhere we have 4 Spencers (in boxes, brand new) looking for new homes at £900...

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
To be honest it depends on how unfit and exact weight which is why I always recommend trying bikes first. I have had overweight and unfit people on a similar spec of bike and they got on well which is why I suggested this bike.

However it is not one we sell at present otherwise I would have just linked to our own website. When people are trying bikes at our shop I send them on a hilly test ride (yes our part of Norfolk does have hills) and normally recommend they try the following: a crank drive, a hub drive bike with a torque sensor and a bike with RPM sensor so that they can find the right bike for them.

Given the options Spencer Ivy also seems like a good buy though I have never tried one I would definately consider that if it was me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Spencer Ivy is a nice bike, and that price makes it even more attractive, but from my own experience, the motor doesn't have enough grunt to get heavy (my 100kg) up steep hills. OP hasn't given his weight. It would definitely be worth considering if he's less than 80kg.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I was going to suggest a good second hand kalkhoff but the spencer ivy
is based on the same motor and battery (like the technium privilege in my
avatar) and at £900 is a bargain. I was over 20 stone when I got mine and it goes up any hill with ease. The only mod I did was to go up 2 teeth on the motor sprocket so you you can peddle faster without the motor cutting out.david

C

Cyclezee

The Spencer Ivy is a nice bike, and that price makes it even more attractive, but from my own experience, the motor doesn't have enough grunt to get heavy (my 100kg) up steep hills. OP hasn't given his weight. It would definitely be worth considering if he's less than 80kg.
Last week I sold an eZee Forza to a big guy who weighs 25 stone / 158 KG.

He rides a non powered Trek but wants to be able to keep up with his triathlete wife when she is training.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

My names Paul and I'm from Preston! (Sorry, getting ready to announce myself on Take Me Out!).

I am a rather unfit (and dare I say it overweight) 41 year old, have ridden on and off over the years but came across electric bikes through a friend at work. Been reading through the forum and I am a bit overwhelmed with the choice of bikes out there. As some of you may know, it can be quite hilly around these parts so I'm looking for a good bike that can help get me up them. At first, the bike will help me to get fit, but I will be looking to perhaps commute the 7 miles to work in a few months time.

So, what does £1000 get me? I might be able to stretch a little more but I was hoping to keep a bit of cash back for clothing and accessories.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.
Preston Paul.
How about this:

(I have no connection to the company btw):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331112978014

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I am sure he will soon be overwhelmed by the choice :). There is certinaly plenty to choose from and I am sure he could find one which will work out for him.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Last week I sold an eZee Forza to a big guy who weighs 25 stone / 158 KG.

He rides a non powered Trek but wants to be able to keep up with his triathlete wife when she is training.
This is a serious question - does that bike assist to 30 mph then?

NoToneS

Nov 28, 2013
Paignton,Devon
Hi Paul, I'm too called Paul and also live in preston and can be found riding on the s/w coast path between torquay and paignton, i only found this site after my purchase of a Cyclematic, so i unfortunatly went for the wrong cycle for this area, there is a shop on torquay road called "Dialled in bikes" www.dialledinbikes.com the owner is freindly and will help you choose he also has a few in stock that you could possibly arrange for a test ride.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

prestonpaul

Jan 31, 2014
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

For under £1000 the best value for money bikes are Woosh, you can find them here http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?forum. If you can stretch that budget to £1200, I would recommend an eZee bike.

I have no connection with Woosh, but I do have a strong connection with eZee:)
Hello John,

THanks for the recommendation, I will most certainly have a look at Whoosh's website this weekend.

I notice from your advert that you also do other brands as well as eZee. What would you recommend from your portfolio ?

Thanks
PrestonPaul

prestonpaul

Jan 31, 2014
Apologies if I shouldn't post this here...but as mentioned elsewhere we have 4 Spencers (in boxes, brand new) looking for new homes at £900...
Thank you, I will have a look at your website. Is that Prince Charle's in your photo? Does he ride a Spencer Ivy?:)

prestonpaul

Jan 31, 2014
Thank you to everyone else who has replied, I didn't expect to get so many so soon! I will have a good read through all the suggestions later and it seems like it would be very wise of me to go and visit some dealers to try out some bikes.

PrestonPaul