Best foldable MTB with 26+ inch wheels

elec commuter

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2016
bournemouth
Hi everyone. I have been searching throughout the internet for guides and reviews on folding MTB's and they are few and far between. My maximum budget is around £1300 and needs to be via the cycle to work scheme or around £600 via alibaba etc.

I have seen a few that I like the look of. One being woosh zephy b big bear http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b and the other being legend etna http://www.electric-bike-factory.co.uk/acatalog/LegendEtnaElectricBike.html

I can't find any reviews on the legend etna but it certainly looks a nice bike. I plan on commuting every day which is about 10 miles each way through very hilly terrain and beach fronts, occasional sand and coastal winds hence the suspension and 26 inch+ wheels. Weight isn't an overall deciding factor as I will only occasionally be lifting it onto trains but obviously lighter is always nice.

I have noticed alibaba has some very cheap folding bikes but I am a little scared to purchase one via them. If anyone has any advise or links to any folding bikes they have purchased that work well I would be very keen to see them. http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=electric_folding_bike&c=CID1221&atm=&refine_attr_value=885-353184,1507-4742&param_order=ATTR-885-353184,ATTR-1507-4742&f0=y&moqf=MOQF&moqt=MOQT1

Any tips or guidance on this is very welcome.

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

There's usually lots of 26" folding electric bikes on Ebay.

Alibaba and Aliexpress are OK as long as you buy from a seller that has some history. Obviously, you get no support afterwards, so buy one with standard electrical items.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for your planned commute, you should get the 11.6AH battery to avoid having to recharge your battery at work.
Woosh won't have 11.6AH battery until mid December.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't mean to answer in the OP's place, but from my experience, these bikes are much more suited to ride on unmade paths because of the full suspension and the in-frame battery. They are also accepted in trains.

elec commuter

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2016
bournemouth
Thanks for the replies everybody. Main reason I need it to be folding is flexibility. It makes it easier to throw it into the boot of the car/ train and my office allow folding bikes into the office but insist non folding bikes have to be kept in the bike sheds, which adds about an extra 15 mins onto my day. The Legend etna does look a sexy piece of kit and at the moment is the front-runner. I just wish I could find a review on it before I take the plunge.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this is the woosh 2017 Zephyr-b:
hydraulic brakes, SR XCM DS with remote lockout. 11.6AH as standard. Throttle.
Let me know what you think.

elec commuter

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2016
bournemouth
Nice looking bike. How much is it and when will it be available? Does it come in any other colours by any chance? I am on the fence about the floral design on it if I am honest but it's a sexy beast compared to last years model. Nice upgrade :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Zephyr 2017 comes only in matt black colour. They are on their way, arriving around middle of December. I don't know the price but I reckon around £1,100. The Legend Etna with 11.6AH costs £1,249 + £159 for the battery upgrade.

dingo

Just Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Hi! I’ve got a Legend Etna- love it.
Notes & thoughts randomly as I think- car.... I’ve got a Skoda Fabia Estate, and it’s as tight as billy heck to get it in & use the trunk cover but, I’ve got it thanks too a By.Shultz handlebar twist kit. It is very hard to get in and out - lifting a bike turned in its side is a nuisance! I have some Velcro strips to hold it together in the folded position!
I also invested in a seat post and handlebars with built in lights by Lightskin.
I use the bike for my daily city commute- and it is excellent, up and down pavements and potholes no worries, it’s easy to switch on and once you get use to using the accelerator etc it’s simple to use. I have swapped the controller to the right as I did struggle with it on the left. That said, the small controller is discrete, and with a phone mount you can easily link to the bike and use satnav and things like map my ride and bike streets apps.
As I live in a flat I needed it to fit in my car or get it up 4 flights of stairs to the flat, folding was the way forward- it’s very light and very easy to use, As I say, I absolutely love this- despite being just a tiny bit big for me as a 5’8” shorty- it’s still easy to ride, and I use it on the 1st setting as a help, being old & not too fit I have used it fully electric and that’s interesting! I do get a delicious feeling of badness when chubby old man passes some healthy youngster without even being out of breath, as I don’t think anyone can tell it’s electric!! I admit I didn’t really NEED such a flashy bike, but it looks as beautiful in the metal as in pictures.
The downsides are-
I do worry it’s a thief magnet- I’ve got tracker and the best locks I could find, & it’s specifically insured- which added nearly 50% to my contents insurance but I would never leave it out overnight!!
The frame when folded does seem like it may rub against itself in the car, but I’ve not noticed this happen yet.
I did have an incident where it was knocked over when a truck hit the bike shed at work!! The plastic controller was damaged- a reasonable £90 repair! As yet the resultant scuff has only had a rough lick of paint as I’m struggling to find anyone willing to paint repair a hidden battery bike... advice received gratefully!