Best kit for thorn raven fully loaded !

mitty

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2007
Hi, looking for advice on best conversion for my thorn Raven rohloff.
Ideally I want a lightweight front motor kit enough torque to assist pushing up to 160kg (bike,panniers and myself )uphill when touring not so fussed about on the level assistance as I need some exercise !
Batteries in the bottle cages low in the frame maybe or split between the front set of panniers ?
Lightweight charger would be nice.
Range ? I hope to average 60km + a day but mixed gradients.
Easy to swap out for original wheel to use as normal bike would be useful too.
I did like the sound of the two speed xiongda but am open to suggestions
Budget up to £1000

Thanks Mitty

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

mitty

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for the links. Am I right in thinking I can't use mid drive kit because my thorn bottom bracket rotates to tension the chain for the rohloff hub ? Also does anyone in Europe sell a xiongda kit like lunacyles in the states ?

Thanks again M

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm using the Woosh XF07 as mentioned above on a tandem so quite a bit more than 150Kg; probably a bit above that for the two riders then 20Kg+ for the bike, plus any load (not usually huge except sometimes shopping). It is helping fine for hills around Winchester. Range here around 35 miles/55km on the 13Ah battery, you'd probably want the 17Ah hour one to be sure of your mileage.

It would be easy to swap out the front wheel and battery; you would still have quite a bit of cables/battery holder left.

The charger is around 1/2Kg.

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just a thought . My charge has the eccentric bottom bracket which turns to tension the chain
the bafang mid drive went in ok but required a sprung loaded chain tensioner

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just a thought . My charge has the eccentric bottom bracket which turns to tension the chain
the bafang mid drive went in ok but required a sprung loaded chain tensioner
News to me, I didn't think you could even fit to an eccentric bb. Good to know as i Iove an alfine rear hub. On vertical drops as I have you end up fitting a tensioner anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Easy to swap out for original wheel to use as normal bike would be useful too.
I

Thanks Mitty
A very common requirement amongst first timers (including me)

However, no one ever actually does this as you are still left with all the rest of the gubbins (techie term ;) as others have pointed out

In reality I would suggest a better question is how easy will it be to cycle without power (because you don't want it or battery is flat)

imho a mid drive works best here (if you can use one). I think they are neater looking too. Your brilliant hub will cope with a lotmore than a mere legal 250w system so no worries there . I've been abusing an alfine 8 on a hardtail offroad for 1300miles so far without issues. Your rolhoff can handle a chunk more torque on paper .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Has been ok since November I fitted ok before I read it was not possible to fit it.:rolleyes::D
Tried to fit to a cube hyde does not fit it all depends on the position of the tension lugs that tighten the bottom bracket:( just striped and cleaned and fitted a new wheel set nexus 8 inter

mitty

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks again, so mid drive might be possible with a tensioner ? If so would I be getting significantly better range for the same battery weight ? Also any other pros/cons of mid drive with the rohloff, wear and tear,changing under load etc ? Which mid drives/batteries would most suit my touring needs.
Ps I live in cornwall so hills a plenty !
Cheers M

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
It will all depend on the type of bottom bracket and how it is tightened /adjusted the charge has two allen bolts and does not foul but the cube has 2 lugs that are in the way a pic might help

mitty

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2007
Photos are from eBay but show the same model as my bike and show how the eccentric BB is tightened up

mitty

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2007
Any thoughts on whether a mid drive could be mounted on to my bike ?
Also can the xiongda 2 speed be bought in Europe as a kit ?

Thanks again M

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The bolts stick out way to far, do not think a mid drive will fit without serious modification :( the ones on the charge are further back and grub screws in full nuts, a machine shop might be to modify and relocate