Best model MTB for BBS01 Crank Kit?

Dog George

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2016
Rock, Cornwall
I've got a budget of £1500 ish for bike & motor, I'd like a bike with good spec Gears, Brakes & Wheels, So which MTB do you think would be the best make/model to go with a BBS01 Crank Drive Kit?

D

Deleted member 4366

Go on Ebay, set the search to nearest first, and see what turns up. Don't buy a new bike. There's no advantage. Buying used, you can either get a much better bike for the same money or get your bike for less than half the price of a new one.

You should look for one with a standard BSA threaded bottom bracket, either 68mm or 73mm is OK. Be aware that many of the decent new bikes have bottom brackets that are not directly compatible, so better to look for one that's a few years old.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I was thinking of doing the same, then someone on here posted about the Bafang Max Drive CD motor.

With a bit of luck, Bafang Max Drive Ebikes will start to arrive in the UK later this year, and I recon £1,500 should get you a complete bike, that looks a lot neater than what a BBS01 lash up conversion does.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Reactions: IR772

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Very nice the Cube at that price, although it does have the lower 60nm Torque Bosch motor, although the Bosch CX motor is not a lot more at just 75nm Torque.

The Bafang Max Drive offers 90nm Torque, which should make for some serious hill claiming on a par with the Yamaha motors.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
If you enjoy cycling and do not just want a Scooter most riders will be using lower power settings any way, I use 2 out of 4.

What is key is the smoothness of power delivery to provide an enjoyable ride and the control that you feel when riding.

I chose my bike as I enjoy its riding style not power.

I would guess any motor about 50-60 Nm of torque would be more than adequate for virtually any rider apart from the really American built among us, that is if you want to cycle.

• Informative
Reactions: Dog George

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I am not yet an ebike owner, so have to stick with pedal power alone, most I ride in a day is 50 miles, mostly road on a touring bike, sometimes with 20kg of kit.

My take on an an ebike is what will do more, will do less, so I would choose a 90nm Torque bike, over a 60nm Torque bike any day of the week.

It's the hills that get me, and that's why I am considering an ebike, and I recon more Torque = better hill climbing.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you got a cx and performance motor and you never knew what was on what bike you could not tell the difference.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It's the hills that get me, and that's why I am considering an ebike, and I recon more Torque = better hill climbing.
And more torque will equal higher battery consumption.

Even between the Bosch performance Line 63Nm and CX motor 75Nm, the difference is very noticeable.

Afraid that you were wrong about the torque figure that you quoted for the Cube that was linked to. The torque figure for the active Line motor is 50Nm.

With correct final drive gearing, even the Active Line makes a very pleasurable motor unit, and from my own experience using it, quite happy to tackle a Cat4 climb with ease. http://veloviewer.com/segment/610650/Kidd's+Hill

For off road use, my preference is for the Performance Line motor. After having ridden in the Swiss Alps using both the Performance Line and CX, I don't consider that any more torque is required, and off road can in fact work against satisfactory climbing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i do get more power from the motor with my 500w batt than the 400w one, not sure that is down to its now 2 years old but i can def feel it as im faster.

maybe that extra torque from the cx is using that power wise as 500w is 20% more than 400w and using 12% more torque with the cx motor.

8% more range is not so good tbh lol

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I am not yet an ebike owner, so have to stick with pedal power alone, most I ride in a day is 50 miles, mostly road on a touring bike, sometimes with 20kg of kit.

My take on an an ebike is what will do more, will do less, so I would choose a 90nm Torque bike, over a 60nm Torque bike any day of the week.

You won't use/need max for hill climbing as the assistance of any ebike is really good.

Difficult to explain without you getting a test drive.

Try any ebike and you will end up smiling.

You'r saying from reading up you want a 5 litre V8 when actually best for you would be a 2.0 litre turbo Diesel.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Stick with the Performance Line motor SW.

I haven't carried out any accurate checks, but I'm certain that the Performance Line with 400wh battery gave the same range as the CX with a 500wh battery.

As both bikes now run CX motors I have no way of checking.

My take on it is that you have the best combination with the Performance Line and 500wh.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Cube is Active (50nm) motor, their website is misleading. Still an excellent motor for road and touring. Would be OK for MTB as long as terrain is not to steep (>25%), given lack really low gears. My wife's STEPs bike is geared same, will handle short steep off road inclines but rider is working hard.
Should climb most hills at 15-20km/h with moderate rider effort. The only benefit Performance and CX give on road is ability to climb most hills at 25km/h but will cost you in battery in range.

Last edited: