Best mountain bikes for family.

Nikki

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2018
Spain
We are a family with 2 kids aged 9 and 11. We are all getting into cycling, but we live up 5km dirt track that is all uphill on the way home - too much for us to cycle up. Rather than have to drive the bikes home, we want to get e bikes. Any recommendations for bikes for the kids? And for first time adult bikes too. They need to be able to handle a steep track, but be economical too. Thanks for any advice.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Hi Nikki,

I can't say we get many inquiries for kids E Bikes here so I don't have a huge amount available. I'm sure you are already aware but I must mention anyway, EU Regulations prohibits e-bikes being ridden on roads by anyone under the age of 14.
For the Adults and 11 year old the Kudos Eiger would be ideal as a starter E Mountain bike. I've had customers 5 foot tall buying these so I'm sure it would be okay for your eldest.

https://powerbikes.uk/shop/e-bikes/kudos-eiger/

A cheaper option for your kids may be buying traditional bikes and fitting a conversion kit. These can be had for as little as £300
https://powerbikes.uk/shop/conversion-kit/cyclotricity-250w-conversion-kit/

At least this way you can make sure the bikes are the correct size for them.

Richard

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Rather than have to drive the bikes home, we want to get e bikes. Any recommendations for bikes for the kids? And for first time adult bikes too.
As you already know by now, children under 14 are not allowed to ride e-bikes.
For you and your wife, as the bikes are going to help you to flatten the hills, the motor needs to be chosen to suit your weight.
Could you let us know your weight and height?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EU Regulations prohibits e-bikes being ridden on roads by anyone under the age of 14.
A small correction, the EU do not ban children from riding e-bikes.

That 14 years minimum age restriction is a UK one, contained in the Road Traffic Act 1988, later copied in Northern Ireland in their 1995 Road Traffic Act.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
A small correction, the EU do not ban children from riding e-bikes.

That 14 years minimum age restriction is a UK one, contained in the Road Traffic Act 1988, later copied in Northern Ireland in their 1995 Road Traffic Act.

My Mistake. Didn't realise it was just UK.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Mistake. Didn't realise it was just UK.
No problem, it's often thought to be EU law since most of our e-bike law emanates from there. Here's an example of a Dutch 12 year old and his young brother riding a pedelec in a way entirely legal there. Imagine what a field day one of our police would have in our over restricted country, riding underage with an illegal pillion rider and on a pavement too! And the nanny state brigade would also express horror at no helmets.

Dutch utility cycling.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I've towed many flagging cyclists up steep hills. I just get a good grab of their jacket and pull them along next to me, while we both pedal - me one-handed. You therefore only need ebikes for the adults, who can pull the kids up the last bit unless it's too narrow.

I have also towed motorcycles many times on my motorbike. you can use the same technique for a bicycle. You need about 2 meters of thin rope. Fix one end to the seat-post and pass the other end to the guy being towed. he wraps his end once around the middle of the handlebars, then holds it tight on the grip. If he gets in any trouble, he lets go of his end and the rope immediately flies off.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I've found a child friendly way to tow is to use a retractable dog lead on the seatpost. With a loop of bungee cord tied on the end. That loops over the stem. And pops off easily if there's an issue. I tow my 10 year old through muddy fields and up hills.