Best option to electrify a Brompton

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
I'm looking to buy a Brompton M6L.

What are my best options to electrify this?

Is it easy to do after purchasing the bike or am I better off getting the bike and the electric components fitted from the start.

I'd also like your thoughts on the best components to electrify the bike.

I appreciate your help.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a Brompton Nano which has served me well.

Reasonably powerful and a neat fit - battery in a Brommie bag with the connection via the luggage block.

There are other kits, and 'doing a nano' by buying the components individually and fitting yourself would be cheaper.

But if you want an off-the-shelf solution and don't mind spending a few quid, the Nano is worth a look.

Home

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. Are they easy to fit by yourself?

If so where is the best place to pick up a kit?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Electric Transport Shop do their 'Sparticle' conversion which I have. This has more power than the Nano but is arguably less elegant. Cyclotricity were showing their conv-e conversion of a Brompton at the NEC Cycle Show. This looked quite smart and is more of a do it yourself option - could be cheaper too. See picture.Brompton conv-e.jpg

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Will have a look. Thanks for the post.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Had a look at the Sparticle. I like the fact it's a lot more powerful but there seem to be a lot of leads dangling. Do these get caught up in anything when you're folding the bike?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it seems about the same price as the Nano.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The Electric Transport Shop do their 'Sparticle' conversion which I have. This has more power than the Nano but is arguably less elegant. Cyclotricity were showing their conv-e conversion of a Brompton at the NEC Cycle Show. This looked quite smart and is more of a do it yourself option - could be cheaper too. See picture.View attachment 7235
Jonah, please remind me again is that a 350w or 500w motor?

MS.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Jonah, please remind me again is that a 350w or 500w motor?

MS.
I know the pros will confirm but I think there is a limit to power on the UK roads. I want to make sure whatever I get is road legal.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I know the pros will confirm but I think there is a limit to power on the UK roads. I want to make sure whatever I get is road legal.
Hi Leccy,

No person on here will never lead you astray, therefore it is down to you if you want to go that extra wattage. Anyway, get cracking because you are missing out on continuous fun.

MS.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Sparticle kit is available in legal (250W) and '2 extra power' modes. I'm not sure of the nominal motor wattage in each guise.

The Nano and conv-e kits are both 250W motors.

The wires do not effect the fold.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the reply Jonan.

Does the 250w Sparticle offer the same power as the 250w Nano or are they the same?

If they offer the same power I'm tempted to go for the Nano as it looks a neater solution with less wires. if the Sparticle does offer more power then I'm tempted to go with that.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks for the reply Jonan.

Does the 250w Sparticle offer the same power as the 250w Nano or are they the same?

If they offer the same power I'm tempted to go for the Nano as it looks a neater solution with less wires. if the Sparticle does offer more power then I'm tempted to go with that.
Unfortunately I haven't tried the new Nano system so I'm not really in a position to say. I'm not aware of any direct tests / comparisons between the two. I suspect people particularly looking for power tend to go for the extra power version of the Sparticle. I have tried all 3 versions of the Sparticle conversion and there is a marked difference between them (as you would expect). Perhaps you could be the one to carry out a comparison between them. They both must have demo bikes available for test rides. Bristol and Marlborough aren't that far apart.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Just found the like button. Thanks for your help so far.

I'm based in Yorkshire. I can't find anywhere local that does test drives for these bikes.

It seems like the only two options are the Nano and Sparticle at the moment.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Electric Transport Shop have a shop in York I believe.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. I didn't know this. Will ask them if they have a display model I can look at.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Ok. I've gleaned the following:

Nano - 36v 10Ah option - 20 to 40 mile range (1 year warranty - battery will not drop below 85%)

Sparticle - 36v 14Ah option - min 20 mile range (not sure of the detail on the warranty)

Hmmnnn... Choices choices.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Just to confirm the Sparticle as a 1 year warranty. No specifics on guaranteed battery rates for that year however.