Best retro fit mid drive unit

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
it is a normal PAS magnet disk and since so many brocken motor at the dealers I guess you can buy this disk at any serious BBS seller in the uk

The two magnetic lugs that you mentioned are actually just to melt the magnetring solid to the e plastic disk

btw, this are not two magnets the ring is the magnet with 24 pole if I remember correctly about the 24 or 32 or what ever you can see them under a special lens
Thats a great help thanks, very deceiving as the 2 lugs line up perfectly with the hall sensors!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK I understand now. Araldite is your friend 10JP... :)

Reactions: 10JP

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bafang BBSxx outnumbers other CD kits by about 100:1, so the chance of getting spares for other kits is close to zero. The best thing would be to make your own usung a hub-motor and a Cyclone or Eclipse freewheeling crank, then you can get spares for everything.
Except for the GSM. Both can share the same discs.

The one on the left is made by 8-Fun, the one on the right is made by/for the GSM

@ JP:

I have placed order for some spare discs. They'll arrive in March.

Reactions: Kinninvie

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Except for the GSM. Both can share the same discs.

The one on the left is made by 8-Fun, the one on the right is made by/for the GSM

@ JP:

I have placed order for some spare discs. They'll arrive in March.
How much are they likely to be?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think gluing the thing back together is going to end in tears. Even if it does work satisfactorily, I don't reckon it'll be a long term fix.

Time to bite that electric bike bullet and stump up the 60 quid for a proper fix.

I've yet to open her up and pull out the final drive. Easy job?

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
JP, about £10 when they are in.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I think gluing the thing back together is going to end in tears. Even if it does work satisfactorily, I don't reckon it'll be a long term fix.

Time to bite that electric bike bullet and stump up the 60 quid for a proper fix.

I've yet to open her up and pull out the final drive. Easy job?
Yes I agree, only a short term fix but could end up a tangled mess!
I am from an engineering background so yes it is very easy and worth checking if you have grease in that final drive gearing! How many miles have you covered mine was just 1500

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Yes I agree, only a short term fix but could end up a tangled mess!
I am from an engineering background so yes it is very easy and worth checking if you have grease in that final drive gearing! How many miles have you covered mine was just 1500
I've repacked the grease in the final drive a few times already. I meant about pulling the whole drive assembly out of the housing. Were the thrust bearings ok, as some people experience them breaking up upon removal?

Mine's on 3300 miles.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I've repacked the grease in the final drive a few times already. I meant about pulling the whole drive assembly out of the housing. Were the thrust bearings ok, as some people experience them breaking up upon removal?

Mine's on 3300 miles.
I see, yes its was no problem there is a dust/oil seal which is easy to remove followed by 2 locking rings which you can remove with angle nose pliers if you don't have the proper tool, they are not tight as it would put to much load on the bearings otherwise, there are supposed to be some washers between the locking rings but there were none on mine followed by a bearing seating then a caged bearing after which the shaft easily pushes out, the bearings which are caged and there seatings were perfect also there are 2 needle rollers bearings which were fine as well, will try and post some pics tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does that include the magnetic ring?
that's the whole magnet assembly. Your picture shows the reversed side.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
that's the whole magnet assembly. Your picture shows the reversed side.
Yes my picture shows the side that's visible when the shaft is removed, you have to remove the circlip to see the underside as your picture shows, but you have me a bit confused with the price as you say it will be about £10 new but you quoted me £30 for a second hand one via email today!!??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We have to take it out of an ex-demo kit. While the ring is out, we can't use the kit for anything. When the replacement part arrives, we'll have to re-assemble the kit. It's not ideal.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
We have to take it out of an ex-demo kit. While the ring is out, we can't use the kit for anything. When the replacement part arrives, we'll have to re-assemble the kit. It's not ideal.
£20 for a strip down and rebuild to get you away sounds very fair to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Yokel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2017
Dorchester
Heating or welding magnets can destroy there properties, epoxy is going to temporarily be the way I think
I have just received and fitted the clutch assembly, which does include the magnetic gizmo.
So for 60 quid I've got a working motor back on the road. That will save a couple of tanks full of petrol this month alone.
It took about ten days to come, and is a beautiful piece of engineering
I packed the chamber with molibdinum grease, and the motor is once again much quieter, smoother and functions as new.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Glad your back on the road Yokel, ordered my part and yes its a lovely piece of engineering, arrived like you say in about 10 days unfortunately the magnetic ring was broken!!
Have been in touch with them and they are sending a new one to me, problem is they are on holiday at the moment, just my luck!

Attachments

Yokel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2017
Dorchester
Glad your back on the road Yokel, ordered my part and yes its a lovely piece of engineering, arrived like you say in about 10 days unfortunately the magnetic ring was broken!!
Have been in touch with them and they are sending a new one to me, problem is they are on holiday at the moment, just my luck!
Chinese New Year I think

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Chinese New Year I think
Yes until 10th Feb!! well its going to be a 2 part epoxy as a temp fix, don't mind not getting out so much in the weather wev'e had but can't wait that long till I'm back out and about

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Yes until 10th Feb!! well its going to be a 2 part epoxy as a temp fix, don't mind not getting out so much in the weather wev'e had but can't wait that long till I'm back out and about
Did the shaft or the ring fail on yours?