BH Emotion bike vs Volt pulse X

Cae

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2016
Cumbria
I've narrowed my choice down to 2 manufacturers....I need a hybrid bike that can cope with all weathers, muck and steep hills....any advice would be welcome...thanks

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I've narrowed my choice down to 2 manufacturers....I need a hybrid bike that can cope with all weathers, muck and steep hills....any advice would be welcome...thanks
My determining factor on either bike would be supplier warranty support.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and Cae

Cae

Nov 27, 2016
Cumbria
I haven't tried the Volt Pulse X, but I'd like to as it has some good reviews...need to find somewhere that stocks them fairly nearby

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
eBikes are a lot of money and all of them are different.

Try a model, if you like it, buy it.

All the known brands have a good name apart from one that you are not interested in.

So if you like it get the cash out and enjoy it.

But do try before you buy.

Cae

Nov 27, 2016
Cumbria
Yes, you're right...trying to take the short cut and go from someone else's point of view when you're spending so much money is a bit crazy. I'll investigate further. The BH was really good...loved the ride, my only quibble was that it felt and sounded like there was grit or something causing friction when I wasn't using any assistance...I don't mind putting in the extra effort but it felt more than that, a real scraping sound...but that was intermittent. Perhaps it had been used a lot though as it was a hire bike and I had it out for a 16 mile ride.

• Informative

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
"not using any assistance" ? ??? ? I don't know what you are saying.

Hire bikes must get the hard end of the cheese, but if you liked it powered then you are 99% of the way there.

It depends what type of person you are and how much research/time wasting you want to do.

There are posters on here that just talk about buying an ebike and extend every avenue to tedium with no intention of buying, the rest just do it.

I am no expert but the best advice is try before you buy and if it fits then you have what you want.

Also when you have bought your bike, post some pics and write a report about how great it is. Have not seen any on BH bikes so am now waiting for you.

Cae

Nov 27, 2016
Cumbria
Ah..just to explain...no assistance (as I understood it) was when the display read zero and the battery remained at a constant level, after that the options were for 30%, 60% or 100%. I mainly used 0%, then several times used 30%, 60% here and there and had 100% a couple of times - this zoomed me off up steep inclines at an impressive speed with little input from myself. After a 16 mile undulating and 60% track and woodland ride (the rest road) the battery had gone down to 87%...I was happy with that as I'm not very fit and recovering from a sports injury.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Note to Cae, use any mode but 0 and you will really enjoy the ebike a lot more.

0% is like riding a normal bike but with a lot of extra crap on you don't need.

13% use over 16 miles is not what the bike was intended for, 30% + yes.

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I had two BH races, sold the first when I found the second newer with bigger battery. Then two spokes popped on the front wheel.
Well on a head on with a 4*4 that's not bad.( on a cycle path)The race was an excellent bike.
I used the motor to fix a Kalhoff but can't ride a drop bar bike any more.
Wife has a by neo city. It's OK just a normal leccy bike. Pokey upto 15 then a bit sluggish. And over the top on low range gears.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Volt is OK, but £2K is a lot for a relatively old fashioned battery behind the seatpost Chinese hub bike.

Designs from companies such as woosh and Kudos are more modern and cheaper.

Or for £2K you can get a genuinely good quality crank drive bike from the likes of Cube, KTM or Haibike.

Cubes in particular are good value.

I don't know how much time and trouble you want to take over the purchase, but the Cube Centre as part of Infinity Cycles outside Durham City is 'only' across the Pennines from you.

It's a proper bike shop and they have a reasonable stock of Cube ebikes.

In terms of local purchase/support you could do worse than the Electric Bike Centre in Penrith.

The website is not very exciting, but the guy who runs it - on behalf of a local businessman - is helpful in terms of advice and test rides.

They go into semi-hibernation 'appointment only' mode at this time of year, but all that tells you is the owner is not greedy and is content for the business to trundle along.

http://www.electriccyclecentrepenrith.com/

http://www.durham.cubebikestore.eu/

http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-x-hybrid-electric-bike.php