BH Emotion Neo Carbon - first 1500km review

mrpscott

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
BH EMOTION CARBON – FIRST 1500km REVIEW

I have nearly completed 1500km of riding on my new Neo Carbon and thought it a good time to report my findings.

By way of background I am just past my mid fifties, cast a decent shadow and suffer from viral asthma and have found bike riding good for my lungs – and waistline!
As I live in North Warwickshire near some decent hills I was becoming frustrated that I could not get up any them on my old normally aspirated bike – cue electric bike. My first purchase was a Wisper 905SE Sport which I used for two years and upgraded to a Wisper 906 Alpino in January 2011. A wonderful bike on which I covered around 10,000km, my riding style evolving such that I left the motor switched off as much as possible – in fact the motor was only used for 2500km over those two years, mainly toward the top of hills!
I wished to be able to ride more of a normal bike and yet have the benefit of the motor when lungs and legs gave out – so after much internet research the Neo range seemed to offer the best way forward as I reckoned I needed the lightest bike possible. . OnBike are my nearest agent, so last autumn a trip over there allowed me to try the Neo Cross – which was very good – however conversation with Martin turned towards the Neo Carbon – which came in at 19kg as opposed to my Alpino which on the road with panniers etc was 30kg.
The decision was made to wait and see if the Neo Carbon demonstrator would turn up and out of the blue in January I received a call from Martin at OnBike to say that he had the 2013 range for a week. Anyway a trial was enough to convince me the Carbon was the ‘one’, so order placed!

For the avoidance of doubt I have no links with OnBike other than being a very satisfied customer!

As a result of nearly 40 years of hockey and dinghy sailing my back is not brilliant so I had the stem raised about 4 inches and also fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus from new as I did not want a puncture miles from home (so far so good!). It is an expensive bike so to have to purchase mudguards was slightly disappointing – still an £8 set from Wiggle look just the job! Martin at OnBike was first class spending a whole morning with me making sure the bike was as I wanted, and has been keen to have updates on the bike’s performance.

I have ridden from March to Blakeney, 65 miles and a number 60 mile circuits – all had total climbs of 2000’+ and I only used one / two segment on the battery monitor. I have achieved my objective and, due to the lightweight of the bike and 30 gears, am able to ride unassisted up many inclines that had to be assisted before. I have found from other sports that if you get the ‘right’ gear then you can perform better. To that end I have Gore gear (wind stopper for the winter) and it just works, I have no doubt whatsoever that the padded shorts are a ‘must’.

Having had both carpel tunnels operated on some years ago I was concerned with the lack of suspension on the front forks and the potential impact on my wrists, however any fears have proved groundless. The bike is lovely to ride and very comfortable, Initially, for about 1000km I used the supplied saddle, but over time began to find it less and less comfortable ( much being asked of a small saddle I suspect!) and have swapped to an Avatar Gel which is super. On average I have increased my average speed from 12mph to 13mph.

The torque sensor delivers the power in a different way to how the Wisper did, however I have now ‘acclimatised’ and am very happy with it. When I do use the motor it is 99% of the time in the ‘Eco’ setting which I find more than sufficient.

Overall I am more than happy with the bike. The only real grumble is that subsequent to me buying, the distributers dropped the retail price by £300.00. Still, as my pal says, you can always tell the pioneers – they are the ones with the arrows in their backs!!