Bicycle Alarm system?

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
I'm thinking about buying an alarm system for my e-bike.

I used this before: It did work very well. However, fitting, removing it, or even charging was a complete pain. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taillight-OUTERDO-Wireless-Mountain-Waterproof/dp/B01LYUR1I8/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp
upload_2018-4-4_18-55-23.png
This one, although very popular and fairly cheap, is clearly junk.
upload_2018-4-4_18-57-23.png
This German-made Achilles alarm seems pretty solid and, quite frankly, looks nice. It has good reviews. That being said, at £55, it's very costly for what it is. I really can't justify it to myself paying this much for an alarm.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HTIM3KU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A15XGYABD2ZZ29&psc=1
upload_2018-4-4_19-0-5.png

These are the only options I could find. Do you guys know of a different bike alarm system?

Thanks!!

Reactions: Dirk44

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
totally at the other end of the pricing scale and only available for Bosch bikes right now but my Cobi is so easy to set by just pressing the padlock icon on my phone.
These seem awesome. Why Bosch bikes only?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These seem awesome. Why Bosch bikes only?
Probably cos Bosch took them over. If you go to Cobi.Bike on-line shop its just available for Bosch e-bike or ordinary bike. The Ordinary bike unit contains a bigger battery to run it and charge your phone. I have read about it on other ebikes somewhere but since Bosch took over they seem to have disappeared,
Mine hasn't been without issues and i had one that failed exchanged under warranty, but I wouldn't be without it now. Not everyone's cup of tea and I dont know of anyone else getting one, but I am a geek freak!

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Probably cos Bosch took them over. If you go to Cobi.Bike on-line shop its just available for Bosch e-bike or ordinary bike. The Ordinary bike unit contains a bigger battery to run it and charge your phone. I have read about it on other ebikes somewhere but since Bosch took over they seem to have disappeared,
Mine hasn't been without issues and i had one that failed exchanged under warranty, but I wouldn't be without it now. Not everyone's cup of tea and I dont know of anyone else getting one, but I am a geek freak!
I know what you're saying. I once watched with amusement a thieving scum trying to steal my £1500 bike only to freak out and run when the alarm went off. They do the job pretty well.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Oh, wow!! Look at the price of Cobi alarm!!!!!! And I thought the Achilles was expensive.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oh, wow!! Look at the price of Cobi alarm!!!!!! And I thought the Achilles was expensive.
Mm. Its not actually an alarm. Its a complete connected system that also has an alarm. Sat nav. Live Pwr/cadence/hr. Electronic bell, indicators, automatic lights plus all the usual ebike stuff and auto upload to Strava. Like I said I am a geek.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Mm. Its not actually an alarm. Its a complete connected system that also has an alarm. Sat nav. Live Pwr/cadence/hr. Electronic bell, indicators, automatic lights plus all the usual ebike stuff and auto upload to Strava. Like I said I am a geek.
OK, that explains the price then. And also explains why Bosch took over.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Looling at recent news where a pensioner is locked up for killing a burglar it looks more and more like the crims have the upper hand.
I think we in the UK are pretty uptight when it comes to fighting crime. Some years back when a bunch of guys broke into my house, when I was in it, I chased them out with my barbell. When the police came, I was still holding the barbell and, of course, shaking. They wanted to confiscate the barbell, saying I wasn't allowed to do that. Geez!! And of course, they never caught the thieves or got the laptop back. But chasing the thieves off with a barbell was a crime...FGS!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A friend of mine who was in his late fifties and in ill health caught someone braking into his car. They had smashed a window and were just getting into the car when he challenged them. An altercation ensued and the police were called with the theif laid out on the floor. When asked if the thief has struck him first he honestly said no I nutted him before he could hit me and was summary arrested and charged. The theif was let go scot free and local paper headlines read citizens arrest goes wrong..

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
A friend of mine who was in his late fifties and in ill health caught someone braking into his car. They had smashed a window and were just getting into the car when he challenged them. An altercation ensued and the police were called with the theif laid out on the floor. When asked if the thief has struck him first he honestly said no I nutted him before he could hit me and was summary arrested and charged. The theif was let go scot free and local paper headlines read citizens arrest goes wrong..
Ah for crying out loud...that's just ridiculous!

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i have the amazon tail light one which was quite stealthy as it fits under the seat and only realy used the flashing rear light function, but it is akward to remove and charge.
and was hidden from view with the seat rain cover pulled down over the unit.

I recently bought a lidl saddle but there is not enough room to fit the alarm

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
i have the amazon tail light one which was quite stealthy as it fits under the seat and only realy used the flashing rear light function, but it is akward to remove and charge.

This is exactly why I gave up on this alarm. It really works well, but it's as awkward as hell to fit, remove, and worst of all, charge.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk

The alarm can still fit under one of the recently on sale Lidl saddles- the alarm just needs to be installed upside down

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
The alarm can still fit under one of the recently on sale Lidl saddles- the alarm just needs to be installed upside down
I had to bite the bullet and order the Achilles alarm. Couldn't find a better option, frankly. Probably worth spending extra for the sake of protecting an expensive e-bike.