Bicycle Alarm system?

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Thread resurrection alert! Has anyone got recent experience of the alarms mentioned earlier in this thread or the newer versions thereof? Or any recommended alternatives?

I've got a couple of good chain locks for the e-cargo bike I'm building but the reality is that it will be left outside supermarkets and the nipper's school a few times a week. As such, I like the idea of something that will loudly deter kids from fiddling with the 'funny looking' bike, or opportunist scrotes from doing too much damage before realising the locks are out of their league. Obviously if a serious toerag with the right tools wants it then they'll have it, but if I can get alerted I can at least have a chance of getting to them in time to explain their mistake.

There's lots of cheap-and-cheerful options around but the vast majority look like future landfill, which I'm not keen on. Any recommendations for well made and reliable options that aren't too hard to recharge would be appreciated. Thanks!

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
This is the one I have, I managed to fit it under my seat so it's more or less impossible to nick. It make a ear piercing racket and works by remote control. It also has a very bright built in LED rear light flash or steady and it can send out a shrill warning blast at the press of a button, does it all.
Socket on the side for recharging but make sure you can get to the socket should you decide to fit it under you bike seat. As the picture shows you can clip the remote to your bars so you won't loose it.

Remember an alarm is not a substitute for a good lock, but as you say it helps prevent kids messing.
Steer well clear of those type that clip to your frame, completely useless. PP3 battery runs flat in a few hours and none of the features of the one I've listed, and easily stolen too.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
This is the one I have, I managed to fit it under my seat so it's more or less impossible to nick. It make a ear piercing racket and works by remote control. It also has a very bright built in LED rear light flash or steady and it can send out a shrill warning blast at the press of a button, does it all.
Socket on the side for recharging but make sure you can get to the socket should you decide to fit it under you bike seat. As the picture shows you can clip the remote to your bars so you won't loose it.

Remember an alarm is not a substitute for a good lock, but as you say it helps prevent kids messing.
Steer well clear of those type that clip to your frame, completely useless. PP3 battery runs flat in a few hours and none of the features of the one I've listed, and easily stolen too.

That looks good. It's USB charging so if the socket in the alarm/light is difficult to access it's going to be better to install it with the USB fly lead permanently connected. Use a cable clip or two to fix it to the frame.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
That looks good. It's USB charging so if the socket in the alarm/light is difficult to access it's going to be better to install it with the USB fly lead permanently connected. Use a cable clip or two to fix it to the frame.
That's a good idea nigel, you could roll the USB lead up and tuck it under the seat secured with a clip of some sort.
It all depends on your seat type, sometimes the alarm slots under neatly on others it's harder. A good old Brooks seat would have plenty of space as there's no padding but then no so easy to get to the USB socket.

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
That's a good idea nigel, you could roll the USB lead up and tuck it under the seat secured with a clip of some sort.
It all depends on your seat type, sometimes the alarm slots under neatly on others it's harder. A good old Brooks seat would have plenty of space as there's no padding but then no so easy to get to the USB socket.
I've got a Rivet on mine (similar to Brooks B17) so should have space. The issue is that I'd have to remove it for charging as no power in the bike bunker.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've got a Rivet on mine (similar to Brooks B17) so should have space. The issue is that I'd have to remove it for charging as no power in the bike bunker.
You could perhaps remove seat with seat post if you have a quick release.
Dave.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
If your display has got a USB outlet, you could wire the alarm in permanently and let the main bike battery charge it....

Or alternatively run some power to your bunker (or solar if access is difficult)...

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
If your display has got a USB outlet, you could wire the alarm in permanently and let the main bike battery charge it....

Or alternatively run some power to your bunker (or solar if access is difficult)...
Face-palm moment. When I open the box tomorrow I'm hoping I'll find a VLCD5, so it should have a socket. Do you know if these are live all the time or only when the battery and system are switched on?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I like the idea of a Bike Bunker, is it lead lined to keep out Radiation :) As already mentioned there's a variety of ways you could charge it up although I find it seems to last quite a while in between charges.

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I like the idea of a Bike Bunker, is it lead lined to keep out Radiation :) As already mentioned there's a variety of ways you could charge it up although I find it seems to last quite a while in between charges.
It's a bunker in my head. In reality it's an over engineered timber shed with probably too much hardware and steel reinforcement holding it together. No lead lining but I've a nice tinfoil hat that's surprisingly effective ;)

In all seriousness though, I've had issues with overheating battery packs on cheap gadgets and even a small lipo pack that went up completely, thankfully in a charging pouch. If I'm not sure about the cell quality or overall reliability I try and charge stuff on our tiled and reasonably heat and fireproof kitchen table .

Would hate to see my shed and bikes go up in smoke due to a dodgy battery in a cheap gadget.