bigger batteries

mygrumpy

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2006
Sutton, Surrey
Hi all. i have a Powatryke with 12v 15amp batteries, i want to change to 35amp batteries to give me more range,will i have to change anything else, also the motor cuts out at 12 mph,is there any way to change it so it dos`nt cut out thanks fo any hep given. John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any capacity battery can be used with any motor John, only the voltage is important in that respect. It's rather like any size petrol tank can be added to a car.

The speed control is fixed by the controller up to the motor's maximum revs at the supplied voltage. If your motor is already at it's maximum revs in that small wheel 'tryke, (I suspect that may be the the case, especially if it's the 20" wheel model) that's it. If not at maximum revs, a controller may have an adjustment available, but for advice on that you'd need to contact either Powabyke or the manufacturer of your controller model. Just possibly, a search online might reveal some individual who's successfully experimented with those controllers to up the speed to the motor maximum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some information after reading "between the lines" on the Powabyke site. Although they quote the usual 15 mph on most models, they carefully avoid giving any speed on the 'trykes. A test I read some while ago indicated around 12 mph, so one can assume that it's one model of motor and controller in all their bikes, the speed fixed by the wheel size.

The Shopper model with 20" or 24" wheels is quoted at 11 to 14 mph, so your 12 mph seems to suggest you have the 20" wheel 'tryke, can you confirm that?