Bike for heavy user

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if the price is right go for it ;)

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Do you know if the trek powerfly 5 is better spec than the giant? That's the main toss up in my mind at the moment

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
To be honest it's pushing my budget already without full sus. I did sit on one and didn't like the feel, maybe because I'm not used to it.

I personally like the colour!
FS are single purpose only, MTBing. Hardtail is multipurpose, MTBing, add rack full mudguards, chance stem and you have comfortable commuter an tourer capable of carrying 25kg.

The Giant has dropper seat and most mportantly 27.5+ tyres which are next best thing to FS for MTBing, especially type you plan to do. I don't why they keep rubbishing forks, they a fine for your riding and should superior to Treks low end Rockshox.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
FS are single purpose only, MTBing. Hardtail is multipurpose, MTBing, add rack full mudguards, chance stem and you have comfortable commuter an tourer capable of carrying 25kg.

The Giant has dropper seat and most mportantly 27.5+ tyres which are next best thing to FS for MTBing, especially type you plan to do. I don't why they keep rubbishing forks, they a fine for your riding and should superior to Treks low end Rockshox.
The problem is my weight on them - 21st

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
low end factory fitted forks are not serviceable and even if they are try finding the parts ;)

both bikes could have better parts fitted so it is down to which motor you like the best.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
have you got a more up to date one?
as for the BBSHD, whether it's legal or not, it's up to the importer to decide, not you nor me.
BTW, insults don't contribute anything to the thread.
No I don't have a more up to date one but it is clear even from some of your other posts that you were very aware that was out of date.
BBSHD is not marketed anywhere as a 250W motor as well you know.
As far as insults not contributing to the thread neither does misinformation especially from a respected trade member. I don't know what is going on with your posts recently but there seems to have been a step change in number of posts and attitude in the recent past. As a trade member a lot of people will take your word as gospel.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The problem is my weight on them - 21st
Personally, I wouldn't be hung up about your weight. I know of someone that weighs 25st and rides a Spelialized Levo with no due care or concern.

Being positive, once you have the bike, your fitness and lifestyle will improve, and along with that, weight loss. :)

The main thing is to ensure that you try before you buy, don't be put off by discomfort of the saddle, nor the quality of the front forks. These days, unless looking at low end bikes with steel stanchions, you will be hard pushed to find a rubbish front fork.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i could find a light waight way of powering a 150kw motor id have that.;)

• :D
Reactions: Jamie82

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Personally, I wouldn't be hung up about your weight. I know of someone that weighs 25st and rides a Spelialized Levo with no due care or concern.

Being positive, once you have the bike, your fitness and lifestyle will improve, and along with that, weight loss. :)

The main thing is to ensure that you try before you buy, don't be put off by discomfort of the saddle, nor the quality of the front forks. These days, unless looking at low end bikes with steel stantions, you will be hard pushed to find a rubbish front fork.
give it a few months and he will be rolling around like this, and a sore ass :D

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013

The main thing is to ensure that you try before you buy, don't be put off by discomfort of the saddle, nor the quality of the front forks. These days, unless looking at low end bikes with steel stantions, you will be hard pushed to find a rubbish front fork.
Ye, this time a few weeks ago I was 22st, on a bit of a health push, wanting to move into a bit more of an outdoors lifestyle. Too many wasted evenings sat on the sofa when I could be outside. I enjoy my current bike but it's bloody knackering with any sort of hill so puts me off using it to some extent.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It sounds like you have a positive goal, so that can only be a good thing.

I've also been very lucky in respect of my weight, but I can certainly say that I know some very big lads that ride road bikes, and are way fitter than I will ever be. Just make sure that you ride for the pleasure and enjoyment of it. :)

Reactions: euphoriabuzz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: EddiePJ and Jamie82

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
It sounds like you have a positive goal, so that can only be a good thing.

I've also been very lucky in respect of my weight, but I can certainly say that I know some very big lads that ride road bikes, and are way fitter than I will ever be. Just make sure that you ride for the pleasure and enjoyment of it. :)
I so much as look at food and put on a stone lol. But ye the few test rides I've been on have been on another level of enjoyment to my normal bike. Going up hills I'd normally completely avoid. Can't wait to get one and get a dongle fitted straight away

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
misinformation
then please point it out, correct it, explain your point by all means.
How many times have I disagreed with you before?
Have I ever treat your posts with disrespect?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Jamie82