Bike for heavy user

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tried a Cube bike today and tried the Giant again. For me at my weight nothing compares to the Giants syncdrive motor. The bosch cx on the cube felt like being powered by a hairdryer in comparison. So i went ahead and bought the Giant dirt e +2 pro. Should be in Tuesday.. Can't wait.
congratulations!
BTW, this is the first time that somebody compared the Bosch CX to a hair dryer! lol.

Reactions: Jamie82

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Tried a Cube bike today and tried the Giant again. For me at my weight nothing compares to the Giants syncdrive motor. The bosch cx on the cube felt like being powered by a hairdryer in comparison. So i went ahead and bought the Giant dirt e +2 pro. Should be in Tuesday.. Can't wait.
I think you brought well.
I'm no expert as the only ebike I've ever ridden is a Yamaha powered Haibike. But I love it.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
congratulations!
BTW, this is the first time that somebody compared the Bosch CX to a hair dryer! lol.
Lol , only in comparison. I rode it only 20mins before so it was fresh in my mind. Maybe it's because it's pulling a lot of weight. With a 10st rider things may be different for someone else , I don't know..

With the Bosch the power isn't instant and I always had to pedal to move. With the Yamaha it was like a caged animal waiting to pounce lol. I could speed along fast just turning the crank if I liked. And I got up some really steep grass banks with ease. Also tried a full sus giant which was really nice, but too expensive for me.

Managed to get a few hundred off too to ease the pain slightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyme and Woosh

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
I think you brought well.
I'm no expert as the only ebike I've ever ridden is a Yamaha powered Haibike. But I love it.
The only reason I didn't really look at Haibikes much was the weight limits. I'm a few stone over. At least I know with this Giant that I'm a stone under the max weight limit , so they can't argue anything if I go to do a warranty claim for a busted frame.
The first ebike I rode was a Yamaha powered haibike and was really impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retyred1

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Tried a Cube bike today and tried the Giant again. For me at my weight nothing compares to the Giants syncdrive motor. The bosch cx on the cube felt like being powered by a hairdryer in comparison.
LOL.
Something is wrong there. I can understand the cx SOUNDING like a hairdryer ;) however it should be six of one and half a dozen of the other power wise!

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
LOL.
Something is wrong there. I can understand the cx SOUNDING like a hairdryer ;) however it should be six of one and half a dozen of the other power wise!
Its the yamaha syncdrive that sounds like one lol. Must be twice as loud as the Bosch.
Ye you'd think so. On paper the syncdrive only has 7% more torque , but it definitely felt totally different to me.
All I know is on the Cube I was thinking this is actually pretty boring, maybe I'm already used to the power having ridden a few . Then on the Giant I had a massive grin, blasting around this green almost like I was on a motorbike haha, it was brilliant.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ye you'd think so. On paper the syncdrive only has 7% more torque , but it definitely felt totally different to me.
Rutland Cycling pointed out that the Giant Pro has an extra sport mode, to be lively. As you said, hardly need to pedal at all. Something akind to a throttle or a cadence sensor bike..

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Rutland Cycling pointed out that the Giant Pro has an extra sport mode, to be lively. As you said, hardly need to pedal at all. Something akind to a throttle or a cadence sensor bike..
Ye. I don't know what my range will be. But it's staying in that mode a lot haha

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Its the yamaha syncdrive that sounds like one lol. Must be twice as loud as the Bosch.
Fascinating. Most people find the Bosch to be the loudest, which makes sense as the motor is running faster due to the 2.5 times internal gearing needed, while the yamaha uses a conventional sized chainring.

Maybe your hearing is better at the lower frequencies and you just don't hear the higher pitched whine of the Bosch as much?

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Fascinating. Most people find the Bosch to be the loudest, which makes sense as the motor is running faster due to the 2.5 times internal gearing needed, while the yamaha uses a conventional sized chainring.

Maybe your hearing is better at the lower frequencies and you just don't hear the higher pitched whine of the Bosch as much?
Possibly. I quite like the sound of them so it doesn't bother me. But 90% of the time I was on power mode, so not sure if this somehow has any impact on noise. Maybe they're quieter on regular Yamaha powered bikes that don't have the syncdrive power mode?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
those rims didn't last 5 minutes! lol.

(fastforward to 9:30 minutes time index)

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
[QUOTE="Jamie82, post: 444416, member: 10321" Also tried a full sus giant which was really nice, but too expensive for me.

[/QUOTE]
Looks like you have +1 bike already sorted.

Perfect number of bikes is N+1. N= is number of bikes you own.

Create a review thread and update every so often.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
[QUOTE="Jamie82, post: 444416, member: 10321" Also tried a full sus giant which was really nice, but too expensive for me.

Create a review thread and update every so often.[/QUOTE]

Haha brilliant. Don't think I'd have the money for another. I also have a rockrider so doubt that will ever get used again.

I will do a review as soon as I've had it for a few days. Should get it Tuesday.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Congrats on the purchase,

going on your description of the syncdrive it sounds like its a cadence based system as opposed to the common torque sensing set-up.

anyone any more info on this?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Congrats on the purchase,

going on your description of the syncdrive it sounds like its a cadence based system as opposed to the common torque sensing set-up.

anyone any more info on this?
it's a torque sensor bike but tuned for instant start which helps heavy riders.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

Create a review thread and update every so often.
Haha brilliant. Don't think I'd have the money for another. I also have a rockrider so doubt that will ever get used again.
[/QUOTE]

Give it a year and you'll be looking at FS to add to your collection.