Bike for heavy user

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Give it a year and you'll be looking at FS to add to your collection.
are you suggesting he'd have broken the Giant Pro within the first year?!

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
If I do the guarantee should cover it. I'm within the 22st weight limit and the frame has a lifetime guarantee. I haven't broken my decathlon rockrider so this should be fine.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Haha brilliant. Don't think I'd have the money for another. I also have a rockrider so doubt that will ever get used again.
Give it a year and you'll be looking at FS to add to your collection.[/QUOTE]

Maybe lol. The full sus fatbikes look fun too.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I do the guarantee should cover it. I'm within the 22st weight limit and the frame has a lifetime guarantee. I haven't broken my decathlon rockrider so this should be fine.
your old Rockrider is less than half the fun to ride, that's why it's not broken yet. If you break it, it is because you have too much fun with it.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
your old Rockrider is less than half the fun to ride, that's why it's not broken yet. If you break it, it is because you have too much fun with it.
Ye true, they should cover it as I won't be using it for anything it's not advertised to be able to do, and I'm within the weight limit so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ye true, they should cover it as I won't be using it for anything it's not advertised to be able to do, and I'm within the weight limit so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
it's kind of funny when you look at it. I have never thought of e-bikes going downhill, Of course they do, but I always think of e-bike going uphill or canal paths when I am looking for a new frame or fork.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hope he doesn't break it. My experiences are rider comes off 2nd best in crashes.

James initially said bike was for exploring forest trails, I get impressions he is now looking at more MTBing tracks. As he pushes Gaint's MTBing capabilities he'll soon start looking at FS bikes.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
it's kind of funny when you look at it. I have never thought of e-bikes going downhill, Of course they do, but I always think of e-bike going uphill or canal paths when I am looking for a new frame or fork.
Of course it depends on your target market, I wish I had spent a bit more on a better fork (maybe my next upgrade ) nearly every time I go out on mine I'm using most if not all of the travel. Brakes also need a lot of consideration when you have an extra 12 - 15kg of bike to stop.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Hope he doesn't break it. My experiences are rider comes off 2nd best in crashes.

James initially said bike was for exploring forest trails, I get impressions he is now looking at more MTBing tracks. As he pushes Gaint's MTBing capabilities he'll soon start looking at FS bikes.
95% will be woods and roads .I live right next to some nice woods, that's where I cycle most nights already. But I do have hadleigh Olympic cycle track up the road and I went to Lee Valley trails the other week

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Ye. Great on trails where you have lots of uphill as well though. I went to Lee valley the other week and had to stop after 10 miles. My legs were shot, so it'll definitely help.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

What a load of rubbish
I do red and black trails on my hard tail at speed
Ive had 4 different full suspension bikes all fairly high end and i always end up back on a hard tail
Some of us just prefer them over full sus
I personally like the challenge as you have to pick your lines better ,there more efficient at climbing effort wise and maintenance in uk conditions is halfed and there also a damn side easier to clean :)
For me its hard tails all the way .

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Just got it today. Rode for about an hour back from town. Didn't have assist on most of the way and can't say I found it any more difficult than my old Rockrider unassisted. Went to the woods where I go every night. Got to a section on a long steady incline where i usually struggle and sometimes have to stop for a breather. I got up it with minimal effort in eco. The higher settings have so much power I find i don't need them for anything but the steepest hills. Gotta say I'm absolutely loving it so far.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Just got it today. Rode for about an hour back from town. Didn't have assist on most of the way and can't say I found it any more difficult than my old Rockrider unassisted. Went to the woods where I go every night. Got to a section on a long steady incline where i usually struggle and sometimes have to stop for a breather. I got up it with minimal effort in eco. The higher settings have so much power I find i don't need them for anything but the steepest hills. Gotta say I'm absolutely loving it so far.
Glad your pick has worked out for you :)

• Agree
Reactions: Jamie82 and TZC

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
What a load of rubbish
I do red and black trails on my hard tail at speed
Ive had 4 different full suspension bikes all fairly high end and i always end up back on a hard tail
Some of us just prefer them over full sus
I personally like the challenge as you have to pick your lines better ,there more efficient at climbing effort wise and maintenance in uk conditions is halfed and there also a damn side easier to clean :)
For me its hard tails all the way .
Your in minority, here its close to 90% FS in our MTB parks. On our rocky trails there is no substitute for FS.
Hardtails definitely win hands down when comes to cleaning the bike.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Your in minority, here its close to 90% FS in our MTB parks. On our rocky trails there is no substitute for FS.
Hardtails definitely win hands down when comes to cleaning the bike.
We will definitely have to agree to disagree on this one .
Down hill racing definitely FS
The rest it’s just over kill :)

seosamh1977

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2018
The rest it’s just over kill :)
Depends, a hardtail in the hands of a good rider will go down down most things, a full sus in the hands of a poor rider will struggle to go down anything.

both bikes will handle rough stuff.

i'm about to strap a bafang on my genesis core 40 (2011) hardtail tomorrow. I shan't be shying away from any rocks or rough stuff on the downs! :)

Last edited:

seosamh1977

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2018
Don't take this the wrong way, but that's very obvious when you look at what what you classify as an mtb on your website. It's not exactly set up as a proper mtb you could abuse. Mid drive is also dominant on emtbs for a good reason, and it's all to do with centre of gravity and balance on the down(obviously, not exclusively, better torque on the ups etc obviously other considerations).

All depends on the market you are trying to sell to I guess though, but seems to me the mtb sector is currently being driven by the enduro scene more that anything. Which is up, but largely focused on the downhills, rough downhills at that. Guess point really is that with that crowd, the whole point is to get up to do the downs.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Guess point really is that with that crowd, the whole point is to get up to do the downs.
I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying a kit consisting of frame + crankset, CD motor + in frame battery that is built to have internal cable routing and secure battery hold. You would add the wheels, suspension fork and handlebars to complete the bike. The motor is the new Bafang M600 + LCD. Battery will be 13AH or 17AH.

Reactions: peter.c

seosamh1977

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2018
I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying a kit consisting of frame + crankset, CD motor + in frame battery that is built to have internal cable routing and secure battery hold. You would add the wheels, suspension fork and handlebars to complete the bike. The motor is the new Bafang M600 + LCD. Battery will be 13AH or 17AH.
It's an interesting idea, defo think you'd need to think of hardtail and full suss options though, which is a minefield in itself, first and foremost people would need to be confident the frame could stand up. Thers's also different frame geometries and the like to consider(wheel sizes 27.5/29 you are looking at these days, bolt though wheels, tapered headsets, type of forks and shocks people could fit etc etc etc, the new "boost" standard) those are definitely things you'd also need to research, it's been a fairly fast moving and complicated progression over the years and it'll continue changing. (it's all driven by performance enhancements, fashion and a willingness of the big companies to sell people new stuff every year I guess)

Would guess that there's also the point with bafang, is that it's not particularly well known here in the uk, the big ebike manufacturers are well know names, or have started to establish themselves as such I think.

For the tinkerer, possibly, but i don't know tbh, reason I've gone for the bbs02 is I know that it'll just plug into my bike and I'm good to go(well I'll need to make some slight mods, but I'll get it to work.) And that it's a cheap route into me getting myself a capable ebike. I'm also reasonably confident technically though and I'll make it work. I also won't mind pulling the motor apart in a few years time, and fixing it myself.

I guess ultimately it would come down to a price point thing, if they bought the frame/motor/battery etc then purchase all the other bits and bobs, how would that sit price wise compared to just buying a full bike. I suspect that could also be an issue, in that I'd think ebikes are perceived as more hi tec, so people might be more reluctant to going there own on it? (Range will become more important I reckon too, I've gone for an 850wh battery. I don't think the 500wh, where the market seems to be at is particularly enough. i can see modular batteries being a popular thing there, lighter bike for short routes, heavier bike for "epics")

Might be sounding overly negative there, dunno, just thinking out loud, hopefully it'll be useful to you.

I guess the market for something like that would really be in people that have bits and bobs of bikes lying around and then could then cobble it all together into an ebike on the cheap?

Last edited:
  • Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the main problem with bosch and other brand motors is there like apple.

cant fix a 20p part and want a hole new motor replaced instead for full rrp.

think different.