Bike like Kalkhoff Agattu but not?

carrieoakey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, could anyone help suggest a bike for me? If it weren’t for the potential motor problems I’d get the Kalkhoff Agattu. I know they do a Bosch version, but the this has the battery on the pannier rack - I prefer a lower battery for a lower centre of gravity. Can anyone suggest a bike similar to the Agattu? What I like about it is
  • comfort, feels stable, low centre of gravity, upright riding position
  • step-through
  • hub gears
  • torque drive
  • good on steep hills.
I thought a Gazelle C7 or 8 might fit, but didn’t like the ride as much, and didn’t seem as strong on hills (I live in a hilly area with a long steep uphill stretch on the way home).

Can anyone suggest what else I might like? I was going to get the Agattu despite the motor problems, but sounds like that might not be wise. I’d need to test drive any bike before deciding - I’m in the North East, can travel easily to Newcastle/Durham/York, or Edinburgh/Leeds if needed.

Thank you for any suggestions

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The battery behind the seatpost design is old, and there were never very many crank drives which used it.

Bergamont can help with a Bosch bike which has the battery in front of the seatpost, but derailer gears only by the look of it.

Or a Bosch bike with a frame mounted battery, hub gears, and a dropped top bar which is not quite a step through.

http://www.bergamont.com/gb_en/category/ecomfort/ecomfort-trekking

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Check out Cube new 2018 trekking/touring/city range.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/e-bikes/trekking/

If IGH is what you want then will have settle for new 50nm Active Plus, is meant to be quiet compared to 2017 drive. Available with Di2 allowing for automatic mode.

Current 75nm CX drive is only available with derailluer but they offer one with 11spd XT Di2. While CX eats hills it also eats 11spd chains.

Active Plus should comfortably climb any road hill only at more leissurely pace than CX. On plus side running costs are lot lower.

carrieoakey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
They are all great suggestions - I knew you'd be better than me at finding what I'm looking for! The new style Bosch Agattu could still be it, but I'm going to see if I can test ride the Cubes and Bergamont too. Thank you for taking the time to find links for me.

Reactions: LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Video from 2017 bike show had Ragleigh step through with belt drive, new active drive and powerpack on frame similar to cube tourers.