Bike lock

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Can anybody suggest a decent bike lock.Its shame we have to have one but we do. I suspect no lock is thief proof but a lock that will take some time and is light to carry would be good.Cheers

Unavoidable is the fact that with strength comes weight. Personally I have always had good experience with Abus D locks. I use a granit-x, but most Abus upwards of £40 are pretty good. To a degree, where it's locked and what to has a bearing.

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have two now: the Axa frame lock and plug in chain and a Kryptonite D lock (2nd generation) with flexy cable. Both are rated 6/10 on the Dutch insurance company's scale of resistance.

D lock attaches front wheel to street furniture and flexy cable attaches battery box to wheel. Frame lock chain also goes to street furniture and lock attaches rear wheel to frame.

Either the pro thief thinks "this is way too complicated to undo in 45 seconds" or "if he is attaching his bike like that it is valuable, I'm having it"... Should stop the casual thief/joyrider though.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Any brand of lock with a Sold Secure Glod or Silver rating should be fine. In fact, a lot of insurance policies require this level of security for bikes over £1,000. A Sqire Eiger 230, Gold Standard Lock, is £49.99.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
These are convenient, cheap, not too heavy and secure enough to defeat all the ways that opportunist bike thieves use. No lock is safe against professional thieves, nor secure enough for a bike parked every day in the same spot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Barrier-Armoured-Cable-Lock-Bicycle-Motorbike-Quad-Bike-Key-1-5m-Security-/371468194473?var=&hash=item567d3ad2a9:m:mcgRqgxfmQpxAqaiUTjL1Tg
D8, have you read any of the reviews on this lock? I'm struggling to find a positive one once the lock has been tested. Knowing how poor the security it provides, it's probably not a great recommendation.

D

Deleted member 4366

D8, have you read any of the reviews on this lock? I'm struggling to find a positive one once the lock has been tested. Knowing how poor the security it provides, it's probably not a great recommendation.
Of course if you attack it with professional tools, it'll give up. What tools do you think the average bike thief carries? Even those that wait in cars might have a pair of two foot bolt croppers, but they can't touch that lock. I have three foot ones that you can hardly pick up. Even they can't open enough to get between the rollers. I don't know how Bike Radar crushed theirs enough to get the croppers on. That would be very tricky if the lock is above ground, like wrapped around a bike rack.

If you look at the various Youtube videos, you'll see that the average bike thief only has hand tools. If he's going to get out a battery powered angle grinder, he can get through any lock, or if he happens to have a jug of liquid helium in his pocket, he'd have a good chance too.

You have to think about all the things that that a thief is likely to try and in what circumstances he might try it. The lock I suggested covers most risks, and is cheap, light and convenient. I've been using one for 6 years on my bicycle and probably 30 years on my motorbikes. I feel quite relaxed leaving them in public places, though I wouldn't rely on that lock to leave them in the same place every day, but then I wouldn't be happy with any lock.

Amazon reviews are OK and they reflect my own thoughts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00126FWRW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Last edited by a moderator:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Of course if you attack it with professional tools, it'll give up. What tools do you think the average bike thief carries? Even those that wait in cars might have a pair of two foot bolt croppers, but they can't touch that lock. I have three foot ones that you can hardly pick up. Even they can't open enough to get between the rollers. I don't know how Bike Radar crushed theirs enough to get the croppers on. That would be very tricky if the lock is above ground, like wrapped around a bike rack.

If you look at the various Youtube videos, you'll see that the average bike thief only has hand tools. If he's going to get out a battery powered angle grinder, he can get through any lock, or if he happens to have a jug of liquid helium in his pocket, he'd have a good chance too.

You have to think about all the things that that a thief is likely to try and in what circumstances he might try it. The lock I suggested covers most risks, and is cheap, light and convenient. I've been using one for 6 years on my bicycle and probably 30 years on my motorbikes. I feel quite relaxed leaving them in public places, though I wouldn't rely on that lock to leave them in the same place every day, but then I wouldn't be happy with any lock.

Amazon reviews are OK and they reflect my own thoughts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00126FWRW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent
I am in the market for such a lock to compliment my existing D-lock, so approached it with an open mind. Looking at reviews from a variety of sources doesn't inspire much confidence. There are plenty of tales of stolen bikes while using this lock, one defeated with just a broom handle to apply torque to twist the lock open. The kicker is knowing that beneath the armour is just a 4mm cable.

I'm glad to hear that you have had a positive experience with it, but having now looked into it, am going to give it a swerve.

Didn't you used to recommend a chain based lock once upon a time?

Related Articles

Advertisers