Bike Purchase Advice - 22 Mile (one way) Commute

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks very, Andy. That is really helpful.

I was wondering why you chose the Oxygen S-Cross MTB instead of the S-Cross CB which come with lights, mudguards, and a pannier rack?

I am happy to pay the extra money if it is a better bike but to be honest, I don't understand the difference between the components, etc.

Toby
I went for the MTB because of the disk brakes mainly.
I added mudguards after myself, and ebikes direct put a pannier rack on before they sent the bike to me.
I can't remember if there were any other differences between the CB and MTB

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

I am happy to pay the extra money if it is a better bike but to be honest, I don't understand the difference between the components, etc.

Toby
The MTB has hydraulic brakes, which miles better than the cable brakes on the CB. It also has a cassette motor instead of the CB's freewheel motor, so it has better gearing and is easy to adapt to ant gearing that you want/need. The CB has 700C wheels and tyres, so is slightly more efficient, but the MTB is a little more comfortable and has amazing grip and stability. The MTB just fills you with confidence when you ride it.

If I were choosing one for commuting, I'd choose the MTB, change the tyres to Marathon Plus's and fit mudguards and battery lights. Mudguards, like SKS Beavertails, only cost about £13 and the Ebay battery lights are loads better than any lights you get supplied on bikes.

If you ride the two bikes side-by-side, you will certainly notice how much better the MTB is to ride. That's not saying that the CB is bad though.

Reactions: Tobeeornot

mooksy_86

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2018
Macclesfield, UK
The bike arrived a few days ago. I've only taken it out for a short 5 mile run so far, as I'm waiting for some appropriate mudguards and a pannier rack to arrive from Amazon before doing the commute run (Evans and Halfords were both pretty useless on that front).

Very impressed so far though! It zooms along at 24mph with very little effort and made mincemeat of a very steep climb out of Macclesfield. The seat post diameter listed by the shop I purchased it from had the wrong measurement listed though, so I've also got to wait for a shim to arrive before I can fit the Suntour NCX post. Successfully managed to swap the seat to something a bit more comfortable and the grips for some Ergons whilst I wait for the other bits anyway. Pretty damn chuffed so far :D Will post some pics once it's all fitted out.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to go fast, I can't think of anything that comes close for the money. More than anything, I love the handling. It just feels so secure and planted when you ride it.

• Agree
Reactions: JPGiant

mooksy_86

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2018
Macclesfield, UK
Well I've been using the bike regularly for past year and it's still going strong. I've not used it every day as I originally intended but it's certainly covered a lot of miles. I'd estimate somewhere in the region of 5000 (I'll check the on board computer on Monday).

The battery still holds up and allows me to cover the 23 miles each way on 'power' setting without a hitch. Occasionally on a day with a strong headwind it goes into protection mode on the very last mile of my route home (which is slightly uphill overall) but that's really no big deal for me and can be avoided by riding a bit more conservatively.

The ride takes me 1 hour 25 minutes each way at a comfortable effort level, exactly as I'd hoped i.e. I don't arrive at work drenched in sweat and the fatigue doesn't do me in by the time it gets to Friday each week. For reference the route is 23 miles, 19 of which are off road, I'm in good shape, weigh close to 100Kg and carry 2 panniers of kit.

I de-restricted the bike to 23mph when I first purchased it (yes yes naughty me) but after a while I reduced that to 18mph with barely any effect on my time and with slightly improved battery usage. The only real difference I noticed was a reduction in the acceleration of the motor from standing or at low speed, which I actually prefer anyway as it makes the bike handle better.

I have had a handful of issues. Firstly the crappy Kenda rear tyre blew out within 2 weeks of me having it. This was swiftly replaced with a Schwalbe marathon plus tyre and slime inner tube and with regular air tops ups and I've had no issues since. The back wheel is a bit of a nightmare to remove compared to a regular bike so I'd definitely recommenced doing the same. I had to replace the rear shifter cable and it's casing after discovering that it had frayed to pieces due to awful routing under the bottom bracket. Nothing a few zip ties couldn't fix once I'd fitted the new cable though but something to look out for. I've also had an issue with the rear brake getting air in the hydraulics from somewhere. I've had to burp it a handful of times after it going soft over time. I may need to take it into a bike shop to have it looked at by someone who knows more about hydraulic brake systems than myself at some point but the last burp seems to have done the trick. Other than those few smalls issues, a broken chain and chain guard which were my own stupid fault it's been great.

All in all, I thoroughly recommend the Oxygen as an off-road capable commuter bike or for light mountain biking use :D Money well spent even on cold dark January mornings like these.