Bike Purchase Advice - 22 Mile (one way) Commute

Discussion in 'Which electric bike should I buy?' started by mooksy_86, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes Pedelecer

I went for the MTB because of the disk brakes mainly.
    I added mudguards after myself, and ebikes direct put a pannier rack on before they sent the bike to me.
    I can't remember if there were any other differences between the CB and MTB

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

2. The MTB has hydraulic brakes, which miles better than the cable brakes on the CB. It also has a cassette motor instead of the CB's freewheel motor, so it has better gearing and is easy to adapt to ant gearing that you want/need. The CB has 700C wheels and tyres, so is slightly more efficient, but the MTB is a little more comfortable and has amazing grip and stability. The MTB just fills you with confidence when you ride it.

If I were choosing one for commuting, I'd choose the MTB, change the tyres to Marathon Plus's and fit mudguards and battery lights. Mudguards, like SKS Beavertails, only cost about £13 and the Ebay battery lights are loads better than any lights you get supplied on bikes.

If you ride the two bikes side-by-side, you will certainly notice how much better the MTB is to ride. That's not saying that the CB is bad though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mooksy_86

mooksy_86 Finding my (electric) wheels

The bike arrived a few days ago. I've only taken it out for a short 5 mile run so far, as I'm waiting for some appropriate mudguards and a pannier rack to arrive from Amazon before doing the commute run (Evans and Halfords were both pretty useless on that front).

Very impressed so far though! It zooms along at 24mph with very little effort and made mincemeat of a very steep climb out of Macclesfield. The seat post diameter listed by the shop I purchased it from had the wrong measurement listed though, so I've also got to wait for a shim to arrive before I can fit the Suntour NCX post. Successfully managed to swap the seat to something a bit more comfortable and the grips for some Ergons whilst I wait for the other bits anyway. Pretty damn chuffed so far :D Will post some pics once it's all fitted out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes Pedelecer

What did you go for in the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. mooksy_86

mooksy_86 Finding my (electric) wheels

The Oxygen S-Cross MTB mate :D

6. Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes Pedelecer

Good choice:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you want to go fast, I can't think of anything that comes close for the money. More than anything, I love the handling. It just feels so secure and planted when you ride it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Artstu

Artstu Pedelecer

How's it going then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice